HELP!!! Can't Find Torque Converter Drain Plug

mustang462002

Slow GT
Established Member
I'm changing the trans oil in my 4.6L GT. I removed the rubber plug. I keep turning the converter by a screwdriver but I can't find the nut to drain it. Is the plug viewable through the hole of the converter or do I have to take the little shield off exposing the converter.

Thanks

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
dude, get a haynes or a chiltons manual. The torque converter doesn't have a drain plug. Hopefully what you are looking for is the drain plug on the trans oil pan, which is at the bottom of the trans usually. Tranny fluid usually doesn't have to be changed that often are you sure you need to do this?

Slow mustang :(
Established Member
Only way to do it is drop the tranny pan, change the filter in there, put in a new gasket and bolt it back up...it's a bit of an extra job, but that is how auto tranny fluids are done on these cars.

mustang462002

Slow GT
Established Member
Yes I'm sure I need to do this. It's been about a year. I have been reading up on doing this and it seems that 47RW'' transmissions had a plug on the converter with a build date of before august 2001. My car is 2002. So I'm out of luck I did do the coolant line flush but still its not the 14 qts my car hold.

I spun the converter but no luck. I've heard of people drilling a small hole and taping it but that's really difficult for my level.

Yeah I always do the filter and clean the bottom of the trany but I wanted to do a flush and I had heard that the only way to drain the converter is like so.

I've also heard that if you change the fluid often enough you don't need to change the converter fluid.

Guess If I want the flush I need to go to the dealer.

Thanks for your help.

scotts99snake

Established Member
I would not drill and plug the converter if I was you. If you remove it, you can get the majority out with a suction gun, but I wouldn't do that either. Do the oil and filter and flush the cooler lines. That is basically all you can do short of an R&R.

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
I'm telling you, auto trannies only need to change the fluid about every 100,000 miles, so if you did it last year, you don't need this. Check your owners manual or get a haynes or chiltons manual. They will tell you the interval, what kind of fluid it takes, and how to do it, most likely with pictures. On my old FMX converter, you just pour it out the hole for input shaft.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
100,000 miles? Not if he beats on the car and relies on the stock cooler.

If the car is beaten I'd change it ever 30K. Some shops have a powerflusher that will pump 30 quarts through to flush it all out.

Do that and swap the filter.

mustang462002

Slow GT
Established Member
I beat it.
I cross the international bridge here in El Paso. I'm usually stuck on it for an hour and the tranny loves to overheat now that's its summer. I don't have a tranny cooler. So I'm really anal about the tranny fluid.

I'm going to take it to a shop next time. I just got of a crown vic site and their converters do have a drain plug.

kxt

atomic number 30
Established Member
I find it down right ludacris that you would ask an auto question in a forum where most everyone has a manual transmission. Hey I know there are some smart folks on this board but the chance of having "auto experts" is slim.[/end rant]

If you beat on the car and have overheating probs <-- assuming you have a gauge to monitor the heat, you absolutely need to invest in a cooler and then have a tranny shop flush the fluid.

Users who are viewing this thread