help cam not getting oil broke timing chain

Banshee06

Established Member
Need help with my 03 Cobra the cam froze up and was apparently not getting oil and that broke the timing chain the head needs replaced, motor needs to be pulled out to do it anybody else have this problem and what was the cause?

Last edited:

03SonicVert

Ford Junkie since 1996
Established Member
Which bank head?
If you pull the cam ladders are both the intake and exhaust cam bearings wiped out or just one? All cam bearings on that bank?
I would pull both bank ladders, after removing the followers, and check if this is bank specific.
Each cyl head has a restrictor where the oil passes through once supplied from the block. The restrictor lowers the oil psi to the heads and the feeds the cams, lash adjusters and secondary chain tensioners.

Basically the engine has three oil psi's. Main, bank 1 and bank 2. If one of the restrictors clogged with debris then the whole bank starves or is severely restricted.

Do you know what mechanical main psi was?

SV

Banshee06

Established Member
Which bank head?
If you pull the cam ladders are both the intake and exhaust cam bearings wiped out or just one? All cam bearings on that bank?
I would pull both bank ladders, after removing the followers, and check if this is bank specific.
Each cyl head has a restrictor where the oil passes through once supplied from the block. The restrictor lowers the oil psi to the heads and the feeds the cams, lash adjusters and secondary chain tensioners.

Basically the engine has three oil psi's. Main, bank 1 and bank 2. If one of the restrictors clogged with debris then the whole bank starves or is severely restricted.

Do you know what mechanical main psi was?

SV
I don't know much about it. It is at the Ford Dealer and they are the ones who looked at it. The car has about 50,000 miles on it. the Head is the one on the drivers side and it looks like from a picture I took that it is the cam closest to the blower. I did find out from someone else that his brother and sisters cobra both did the same thing but on the passenger side and they replaced the motor. The ford dealer has ordered a new head and chain for that side and are going to pull the motor and put it on then reinstall. for $5500.
I wonder how much a new motor would cost or is this worth fixing? I don't want it to happen again.

svtshadow

Banned
If i were you I would go remanufactured engine route. I would assume your oil pump took a dump. If so, then other things in the engine got ****ed up and just replacing the heads aint gonna help much.

Banshee06

Established Member
Which Long block should I put in the stock Cobra or the Ford Racing aluminator?
and Why?

Users who are viewing this thread