Help Buying a Lightning

Bacon

Hi everyone, new here. Been a GM guy most of my life, but have had a Ford or two in the past. Ive got a little one on the way and against my desires I am thinking of selling my motorcycle for something with 4 wheels (responsible, huh?)

Anyway, Ive been looking for a project and I think I may have found just the thing. Looking at a 2001 Lightning with 130k on it. It has a spun bearing, but still starts and runs. Seems to be in good shape otherwise, but I need to take a closer look. What kinds of things should I look at and ask when I go?

Im planning to do a full motor rebuild with a bore, mild cam, tune, and some other doo dads. Just wondered if there are any Lightning specific things I should be checking.

Also, what would you consider a good price for a truck like this that needs work? Seems like a good deal to me, but wanted to see what you guys would offer.

Thanks for the help, look forward to building a new toy.

fruhdaddy

Established Member
Anyway, Ive been looking for a project and I think I may have found just the thing. Looking at a 2001 Lightning with 130k on it. It has a spun bearing, but still starts and runs. Seems to be in good shape otherwise, but I need to take a closer look. What kinds of things should I look at and ask when I go?

Im planning to do a full motor rebuild with a bore, mild cam, tune, and some other doo dads. Just wondered if there are any Lightning specific things I should be checking.

Also, what would you consider a good price for a truck like this that needs work? Seems like a good deal to me, but wanted to see what you guys would offer.

Thanks for the help, look forward to building a new toy.

If your doing a full motor rebuild then there isnt much to ask about the engine, except if the head has ever spit a plug out and if so what was the fix (new 04 head or cert installed). But you should ask what tranny it has. Earlier 01's had the J code tranny which cause alot of ppl problems once mods started to be added. Ask if the cruise control recall was done, alot of L's caught fire because of the issue.

Treat it like any other car your looking at. Look for the normal wear and tear and see if it looks like its been abused. A toasted engine and that year, maybe 6-7k in value

Users who are viewing this thread