Help!Bad Fuel Odor (Not the usual suspect)

trueblueeyes

Established Member
Okay, I really need some help figuring out what is going on with my 97 Cobra. I have a terrible fuel odor that I can't seem to fix or avoid unless I put in just enough fuel for about a quarter of a tank. I'm leaving for the World Ford Challenge Thursday so I really need to get this figured out and fixed before then. The first thing thing I thought of was the fuel filler neck gasket which I replaced a couple of weeks ago (and it was indeed so bad that it literally crumbled to pieces when I removed it). No fix. Today I've replaced the fuel pump gasket and strainer, replaced a hose, and even put silicone on the tank to insure a good seal. I don't appear to have any leaks, so I hope this fixed it but I am not sure. The parts I took off looked perfect (including the fuel pump lock ring gasket and strainer). Any other ideas on what I could do or check? Also, this started immediately after I installed my WMS Velocity Tube (which came with a new mass air meter)...so could this have anything to do with it? (I've checked all the connections, but I could have missed something). If you have any suggestions, please help. If today's work didn't fix it, I'm not sure I can take a nine-hour drive with heavy gas fumes. And I don't think I can handle just putting in a quarter of a tank of gas at a time to avoid the scent. Thanks in advance!

Melissa

AZSnake98

NVWSSV
Established Member
Wierd... I have the same smell... an what CAI do i have? A WMS velocity tube... Maybe we have a common problem...

fullofvenom

Established Member
Since none of the parts you replaced in the intake swap interact with the fuel, I can't imagine how that could be contributing to the smell. Unless, of course, you bumped something out of its home. Did one of the injectors pop up? is the fuel rail still tightly connected? fuel lines are the connector?

The smell showing itself at 1/4 would tell me that something in the gasket replacement isn't set right. You said the old gasket just crumbled off, did you clean up the spot before seating a new one in there? same with the pump gasket?

with any luck, the weather will be nice enough and you can drive 9 hours with the windows down.
HIH
good luck.

xxxcobra

Factory Freak
Established Member
The charcoal canister could be bad or one of the lines to it.

trueblueeyes

Established Member
AZSnake98 said:
Wierd... I have the same smell... an what CAI do i have? A WMS velocity tube... Maybe we have a common problem...

Surely, that can't be a coincidence...

Any thoughts folks?
--------------------------------------------
And thanks for the above suggestions gentlemen! That gives me some things to check tomorrow. :)

Melissa

Last edited:

trueblueeyes

Established Member
Red98CobraStang said:
my thoughts exactly. Do you have a CEL (check engine light) on?

No check engine light. And I checked just to be sure.... no codes. :shrug:
Still won't hurt to check it tomorrow. At least it would be a fairly simple fix. Just my luck, since I have spent so much time doing everything else...lol. Thanks guys!

Slide It

Track Rat
Established Member
I had the same problem about a year ago on my 98 Cobra. I tried everything.

It turned out to be the seal, where the fuel filler tube enters the fuel tank, was bad. Fuel was not pouring out but just enough was coming out that when I was driving it generated fumes inside the car. I paid $12.00 at the local Ford dealer for the part. The parts guy said he sells alot of those seals and it seemed to be a common problem.

I don't know if thats your problem but you might want to check it out.

Sorry, you already did that!

Last edited:

Diabolic

Established Member
Mine smells like gas at idle with the A/C on. I think it's my purge valve or one of the rubber hoses going to it. Does yours smell like gas all the time?

trueblueeyes

Established Member
Slide It said:
I had the same problem about a year ago on my 98 Cobra. I tried everything.

It turned out to be the seal, where the fuel filler tube enters the fuel tank, was bad. Fuel was not pouring out but just enough was coming out that when I was driving it generated fumes inside the car. I paid $12.00 at the local Ford dealer for the part. The parts guy said he sells alot of those seals and it seemed to be a common problem.

I don't know if thats your problem but you might want to check it out.

Sorry, you already did that!

And it worked!! No fuel smell driving it today! What a relief. Hard to believe I spent so much time checking everything else and could have easily missed the seal. Thank goodness it is indeed fixed!! Again, thanks for all the help and the replies. Have a great weekend everyone...off to WFC!! :pepper:

Melissa

Users who are viewing this thread