Help! Bad alternator???

2BAD4U

Venom03
Established Member
Hey guys need some knowledge on the alternator issue with my 03. It might be what I'm dealing with but not sure.

Okay time for the back story. A few months ago the motor started squeaking really bad. I replaced the belt and the noise went away for about 2 weeks. Then we replaced the supercharger pulley and tensioner pulley, new belt and noise was gone for a month and a half. Last Sunday started the car and of course the squeak came back.:fm: At this point I'm raging pist at it. :fm:So got on the highway and got on it a bit (probably not the smartest thing to do), and high rev in 3rd gear the car shuts down completely. Headlights dim, and the battery light comes on. No funky sounds really, just lost all power. I tried starting it again, but no dice. It just sputtered for about 3 secs and died again. Would a bad alternator prevent the car from starting? Or maybe I blew this thing up? :shrug:

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated! :-D

gnatsumarboc03

Established Member
If your battery light came on, then yes your alternator is toast..ask me how I know.

Usually battery light comes on, then the abs light come on right before it dies. Also the alternator usually squeaks when its going bad also.

My question to you is, are you able to still crank the thing? Like the car is still turning over? The reason I ask is, if the alternator dies, it then runs off the battery till its drain, so If the car died the battery should be died also. Only thing your alternator does is charge the battery.

Drive XR7

NE Ohio's Fastest
Established Member
That sounds like an alternator problem. Mine went at 25k miles getting onto the freeway. Heat really kills those things.

2BAD4U

Venom03
Established Member
It cranked over and was running for about ten seconds rough as hell and then shut down again. Battery still had enough juice to keep the lights on but not enough to crank it again.

I'm kind of expecting the worst with this. The way it just shut down suddenly like that really has me concerned. Not sure that the alternator would just go like that. :nonono:

Thank you for responding!:coolman:

2BAD4U

Venom03
Established Member
Thanks M4 for the thread! I didn't get the abs light to come on but everything else in your thread sounds oh so familiar. Well, that and I don't have the 6666.6's lol! Although I'm at 64555 so getting close.:-D

2BAD4U

Venom03
Established Member
Cool write up and thanks again! Going to see if this is the problem. If not, I will let you guys know.

2BAD4U

Venom03
Established Member
Well after a week of troubleshooting and high levels of stress and anguish, the problem was a fuse for the fuel pump that went! I cannot even tell you guys how relieved that made me! Btw if you are runnin kb boost a pump and 60# injectors it might be a good idea to swap out the 20 amp fuse with a 25! Thanks for every ones help and input!

Mystic03

Established Member
Well after a week of troubleshooting and high levels of stress and anguish, the problem was a fuse for the fuel pump that went! I cannot even tell you guys how relieved that made me! Btw if you are runnin kb boost a pump and 60# injectors it might be a good idea to swap out the 20 amp fuse with a 25! Thanks for every ones help and input!

fuse should be a 30amp if its a 40amp bap which should be in your car :??:

01Jes

Z06 bought with food stamps
Established Member

Glad it was an eazy fix and correct like already stated should be 30amp if using a BAP. Further, cobra engines have leaned out and f' up from hammering the pedal during a bad alternator. Now if you're doing that knowing the alternator is going out:shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread