HELP ASAP! car wont idle

WZL 96

SN95 Wrangler
Established Member
Okay, recently did a IMRC clean, buttoned it up and it ran fine minus a small vacuum leak which was fixed. drove the car for about a week with no problems then drove the car 200 miles to Atlanta to stay the week. It didn't give me any problems until about 75 miles to go from being home on the way back I threw the clutch and put it in neutral to get off an exit for gas... and the car dies! I get it stopped, cranked it back up and died immediately. So I limp it to a gas station keeping it running at stop lights by keeping my foot on the gas. I gas it up and make it home and on the way it threw a code so I just checked it tonight. It's two codes saying its running lean. I assume its a vacuum leak becuase it has all the signs for one. I cant do a carb cleaner vacuum leak test because it wont idle. sometimes it will try to idle but eventually dies. I did do the janky DIY smoke test with a cigar and noticed it was leaking from the top of the IAC (looks like a vent cap maybe?) It looked like hell anyway so I have a new one coming in the mail.

The car is completely stock as far as the engine goes.

So, could it be anything else? Any grand ideas?
As always, any help is greatly appreciated. I'm so tired of having my girl sitting dead in the corner of my shop.

Last edited:

Expurple

Established Member
If you have a vacuum leak it will die. If the car runs when at part throttle but dies when lift your foot off the throttle it's most probably the IAC.

Any leaks won't help either.

SpittingCobra

Established Member
Sounds like the Idle Air Control. If it continues after you install a new IAC then use carb cleaner to check for other vacuum leaks.

Could also be a MAF issue

WZL 96

SN95 Wrangler
Established Member
yeah the car seems to run OK as long as i keep it above 1k RPM.Starting to get good at left foot braking, haha. I'll post my results with the new IAC. Hopefully you get yours going too, bud.

Noreast

Established Member
How were the lower IMRC gaskets that go to the block ? Could be getting a leak from there if its pinched anywhere. That happened to me that car would rev up high at start, than just shut down unless I kept it running by keeping my foot on the throttle.

hitnrun

Established Member
Also, I know it sounds silly, but double check the battery terminals and make sure they are making good contact and not corroded.

Tickle

Established Member
Not sure if this helps you, but I found a vacuum leak due to loose lower intake bolts--the 2 in the middle of the lower manifold.

Gonna put some loctite on the bolts and cross my fingers. Hope your IAC fixes your problem.

Users who are viewing this thread