Help analyze plugs

lasercobra

No SVT
Established Member
I've only pulled one side while I'm waiting for it to cool completely off so I figured I would go ahead and post what I have. The flash makes them look whiter then normal light so drop a shade or two in your mind. I wasn't concerned until I got to # 2 and # 1 *Corrected per Quad's reply*

#1 (front passenger) Has some oil above the threads....? Had the same thing happen with my '98. Is that normal?
DSC01745.gif

#2 (looked cruddy)
DSC01744.gif

#3 (looked leaner then the rest)
DSC01742.gif

#4 (rear passenger - closest to firewall. Looked normal.)
DSC01741.gif

In all, I'm not loosing coolant or oil- atleast not enough for me to notice. Changing the plugs was spurred by the smoke I get in first under boost. It's whiter then I'm accustom to. Before I took note of that, the smoke was clearly fuel from a rich tune.

Your thoughts? Remember that the flash does make them whiter then they actually are.

Last edited:

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
rear passenger is number 4, not 8. 1 through 4 are on the passenger side, 5 through 8 are drivers side.

the plugs look a little lean to me. the oil on the threads is most likely from a leak at the valve cover/head gasket around the spark plug tubes.

lasercobra

No SVT
Established Member
Always here to spread the knowledge! Thanks man. Noted and processed.

I guess most of their condition can be attributed to pre-realization that the car was leaning out above 6,300 RPM. Now I shift around 6k until I can get a retune. JMS will NOT be getting another crack at this car. Bought a PLX wideband scanner for insurance.

Thanks Quad.

*edit*

I'll change my original post to reflect the new knowledge.

Users who are viewing this thread