Help! Alternator failing possibly? Or something else?

05boostedgt

Established Member
So I was cruising today not beating on my car at all and I noticed my battery/volt gauge surging from middle to high and it kept doing this over and over again then all of the sudden my radio and all lights exterior and dash shut off, now mind u I thought I lost all power but the motor kept running and I had power steering control still also .... Just seemed like the accessories/dash and headlights/foglights got killed then a few seconds later everything came back on ..... It happened twice during one cruise so..... Wondering if this is an alternator going out or what? I have had alternators go out on other vehicles but they seem to just quit and I lost all power to everything...... Am I right thinking this is an alternator problem?

night rider

Established Member
Possible Source.
Smart Junction Box.
S.J.B controls int and ext lights.Check for corrosion or pushed-out pins on the SJB module connectors and make sure they seat correctly.

Cowboytk

Grey Ghost
Established Member
my wifes 07 did the same thing, it was the alternator. well the voltage regulator.
i was driving home from work at night and the dash, lights, radio everything went dark.

Thump_rrr

Established Member
I'm on alternator # 6 or 7 at the moment.
The problem with my car is that I'm running a Saleen blower which requires turning the alternator around so it's running backwards.
This prevents the internal cooling vanes from properly cooling the voltage regulator.
Since it is running backwards it does not use the stock pulley which has a one way clutch in it.
I'm also running an 8 rib setup.

Since I can't walk into any auto parts store and buy another alternator off the shelf I put together a second one and carry it around in the trunk when going on long trips.

If you disassemble the alternator and tighten down the voltage regulator you can get a couple of more months out of it but be prepared to nene a replacement soon.

You can also buy just the voltage regulators on fleabay.

Many times you will get a P0340 code when the alternator is failing.

Another thing to look for is a water leak from the cowl into the SJB (Smart Junction Box).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread