HELP!!! 99 Cobra clutch won't disengage

droptopcobra99

Established Member
So i have a 99 Cobra and was driving home the other day.. got behind some slow people was doing about 45mph. i go to pass the 3 cars.. down shift into 2nd gear wind it out catch 3rd and BANG!!! i go to shift into 4th and it was very hard to shift. got it home and shut it off when u start it up if its in gear it jumps forward like the clutch is engaged whether u push on the clutch pedal or not. so my first thought was the clutch cable broke.... well i got the tranny out and the clutch cable is fine. when i look at the clutch it is pressed against the flywheel.. what would cause this?????? thanx

droptopcobra99

Established Member
well i got what was left of the clutch out. the side facing the pressure plate is gone the side facing the flywheel looks just fine so i'm hoping it is the pressure plate time will tell i'm sure thanx guys

crazycarlo

Established Member
this is the EXACT same thing that happened to me. Im waiting to get a new clutch now. What kind was in there. I had a ram HDX. I was going down the strip go to go into 3rd and it wouldnt go. Finally get home after I trailered the car back. Take the trans out and the clutch had exploded so bad the material was wrapped around the pressure plate bolts and I had to chisle the material away to even get a socket on them. Like you i thought it was the cable also. Now I have a new firewall adjuster, clutch quadrant, clutch fork and pivot ball waiting to be installed at the same time as my clutch.

slick4_6

Established Member
Same thing happened to my stock clutch on the 2-3 shift. Car pulled out in front of me and ran 15 under the limit just to turn off less than a mile from where he pulled out in front of me. I lit em up in 2nd and run up to about 6800. Went for 3rd and it sounded like a gun going off. New spec 2 along with a stock flywheel and I was good to go. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread