HELP! 95 Cobra engine noise after sitting for 9 months

Blaster77

Established Member
Hey guys,

I'm in the most bitter of moods right now. My car has been sitting for about 9 months because I was coming up with the money to lower it, put tires on it, and new mufflers on it. I finally got the tires and mufflers on the car and today was my first day to drive it around. I ripped it a few times, but everything felt fine, nothing was noisy under the hood, blah blah blah. Anyways I drove it for about 30 minutes without shutting it down. I had to move the car from where I parked it not more than 10 minutes after shutting it down. After cranking on it for awhile it finally started (weak battery + jump box) and we all noticed a very loud top end knock on the passenger side. I immediately shut it back down.

A little background information:
Prior to parking the car for 9 months I had a problem with the oil pressure gauge. When the car was cold it would work fine but after driving 10 ish miles it would flucuate and when sitting at idle it would drop to 0. I bought the sending unit but never put it in.

Also, After looking under the car my brother noticed an electrical wire that goes to the oil pan was not all the way plugged in. I dont know what this wire goes to but he assumed it was to the in tank pump.

We've checked all fluids, and all are good. I changed the oil after running a motor flush through it and it made it quiet but the noise is still there. It sounds 80% better after running the flush and changing the oil.

my questions are:
could the long period of sitting play a role in this behavior?
do you think it is a sticky valve or even a bent valve?
what does it take to fix valve issues?

I tried to add as much detailed information as I could to help you guys help me. If you have any questions to further me along, it would be my pleasure to answer them as I will be checking this thread several times over the next few days.
Thanks so much in advance
Chris

2DXTRM

Pushrod 5.0
Established Member
Could be a lazy lifter that doesnt want to pump up.
If the sound got better with the oil change, then I would say its a lifter. Also just in case take the valve covers off to see if the rocker arms havent become loose or ?

What grade oil are you using right now?

As for that wire that goes to the oil pan (white/red) wire, thats just for the low oil sensor.

Blaster77

Established Member
Thanks for the reply 2dxtrm. I had a mechanic look at it after he got off work and he said it may be a lifter as well. I'm using 10w-40 in the car right now and it did quiet down tremendously after the oil change. I added 2 oz of the marvel mystery oil and put some high test fuel in it. I'm going to drive it around for a good 50 miles and change the oil again. Hopefully that mystery oil loosens up that lifter if thats the issue.

2DXTRM

Pushrod 5.0
Established Member
Thanks for the reply 2dxtrm. I had a mechanic look at it after he got off work and he said it may be a lifter as well. I'm using 10w-40 in the car right now and it did quiet down tremendously after the oil change. I added 2 oz of the marvel mystery oil and put some high test fuel in it. I'm going to drive it around for a good 50 miles and change the oil again. Hopefully that mystery oil loosens up that lifter if thats the issue.

Yea, I hear that Mystery Oil is quite mysterious!

RIO RED SNAKE

4:10's = The Suck
Established Member
good luck with it man..thats just a tapping lifter...it will run forever like that unless you feel like replacing it..good luck!

cobraman1024

Waiting to be Blown....
Established Member
yup.... if anyone ever has the oil pan off, it's a $15 peice of insurance to slide one in. and a new pump never hurts either

I changed mine to an FRPP shaft anyway when I had my '95 Cobra's engine out but I think there was something "special" about the fox cars that made them more prone to shaft failure than the 94/95 cars. When I first read about the issue in the fox cars, I immediately got a new shaft, oil pump, pan and gasket for my '87 GT.

Users who are viewing this thread