Help 03 cobra rust under dash

terminatd

Established Member
I'm adjusting my clutch and the metal brackets and dash frame are covered in rust. The car has never been in the rain always garaged and has 1800 miles. WTF, is this normal, does anyone else have this. Everything else looks brand new.
I'll post pics when I can. Does anyone else's 03 have this.

I called SVT and they said that some surface rust on unpainted parts is normal but they haven't heard of this problem. I wanted to check other 03's to compare before takin it in. BTW, my car was held back at production in October 2002 for 4 weeks with about 350 other cars, I'm wondering if someone left a window open.

I checked other cobras and stangs, they had some surface rust maybe 5-10% of what I have. Anyone experience this or have any idea what would cause this.

Killer Cobra

Established Member
going to look now. brb

Update.

Yep, loaded with surface rust. That's just ugly. Oh well. No biggy

Last edited:

terminatd

Established Member
I looked at some other cars they had very little surface rust, mine is solid, on some of the black painted parts as well. Its all over the underdash brackets on both sides of the car, the uderdash looks like a 15 year old car sitting in the junkyard. Is there anything that can be used to treat the parts and get rid of the rust?

Torch Red 10th

Established Member
A lot of parts are not made "in house". Most of the time, the IP's aren't. The IP is the bar or frame that runs from one side of the car to the other inside the dash and is the main dash support. These parts are usually made elsewhere, and travel by train. They could sit out in the weather while waiting to be loaded, travel on a train in a not-so-waterproof car, or sit outside while waiting to be brought in and stocked. These parts are just bare-a$$ metal and if they experience much moisture, they will rust. However, if you have a water-tight car and don't let it sit outside with the top or windows down, it should only ever be surface rust and not a threat to durability.

Zapper

Established Member
Hi

Contact me offline at my e mail. I am just taking delivery of an 03 Convertible 10th Anniversary model at Richport Ford.

You are welcome to take a look.

Users who are viewing this thread