"HELP" 01 Cobra with Terminator swap Cluster Malfunctioning

Eddie_Drift

Established Member
Im having some kind of electrical issue that started on the dyno last week. It seemed we were losing voltage by looking at the data logs, dropping down to 12.0 volts and a little under sometimes on a pull. I assumed it was the stock alternator that i thru in there to get by since my KMJ hadnt arrived yet.

I swapped in the KMJ alternator and im still having issues. The first issue of low voltage we actually have addressed and have taking voltage readings at the alternator, the power distribution box and at the battery. we are 14v now.

The main issue im having is the cluster wiggin out. On a wot pull or even revving it in the driveway its like my cluster loses signal, the tach will stop and drop, I was getting dashes on the mileage for a second or 2, the digital mileage also fluctuates, and the oem volt gauge climbs up as the rpms go up. We have confirmed that the system is not overcharging like the oem volte gauge is leading us because we checked voltage at the 3 locations(alternator, Dist box, Battery)during the test we have done.

As far as grounds go i have 1/0 on engine ground to the frame, 1/0 on alternator to the frame and all the engine bay grounds have been scuffed to bare metal and grounded. The interior grounds ive located the pcm ground right below the pcm, cleaned it to bare metal and same with the 2 that are on the center bracket in the pass foot area as well.

I have provided 2 videos so you can see whats going on.

I still have this issue that pretty much appeared out of no where.
Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated. I just want to enjoy my car is all.

First video you can see the mileage fluctuation and the volt gauge climbing.
PXL_20220920_033910087

This video you can see the tach and mileage issues. Dont mind the battery light since we fixed that already and its off now
PXL_20220920_033848157

Users who are viewing this thread