Helmet question...

freebass55

Established Member
I am going to willow springs in a couple weeks and they are telling us that we need helmets. They said any motorcycle helmet will do, but it has to be certified in the last 5 years. That is all they said and weren't much more help. I have a Helmet that is snell certified M95. There is no date shown. Is the '95' the year it was certified? I went to the snell website and couldn't understand how to read when it was certed. Could someone help, please. I don't want to get up there and not have a helmet.
When we get to the racetrack, do they even look at the helmets before you go out there? This is a one time thing (unless I really like it), and don't want to go out and buy a helmet unless I absolutely need to.

Thanks in advance.

scottmartin

lets get ready to rumble!
Established Member
helmet

Hi, good luck with your first event. the helmet you have is for a motorcycle, hence the m95. the 95 is the year certified. the 95 is longer good for events. You need to look for atleast a S2000, or if possible a S2005. Your head is pretty valuable. Scott

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
I really am not sure why they are telling you a motorcycle helmet is ok? Most, or all sanctioning bodies that run open track events will require a Snell 2000 SA helmet now. '95 is too outdated at this point. The motorcycle rating is not a fireproof rating and I would NOT recommend them. If you have a $100.00 head, then a $100.00 helmet will be fine!? You will find you have to spend a couple hundred dollars minimum on a decent helmet.

YMMV,

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
You can get a Snell SA 2005 for 150 bucks or so. Try discoveryparts.com

freebass55

Established Member
ac427cobra said:
I really am not sure why they are telling you a motorcycle helmet is ok? Most, or all sanctioning bodies that run open track events will require a Snell 2000 SA helmet now. '95 is too outdated at this point. The motorcycle rating is not a fireproof rating and I would NOT recommend them. If you have a $100.00 head, then a $100.00 helmet will be fine!? You will find you have to spend a couple hundred dollars minimum on a decent helmet.

YMMV,

I don't know why either. The lady had to go ask someone before giving me an answer, so...:shrug: .

Thanks for all of your reply fellas. I am going to go buy a helmet this weekend.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
freebass55 said:
I don't know why either. The lady had to go ask someone before giving me an answer, so...:shrug: .

Thanks for all of your reply fellas. I am going to go buy a helmet this weekend.

Just as a warning to you I would NOT buy a motorcycle helmet. Maybe this group will let you run with one but the rest won't. It will be a waste of money IMHO.

freebass55

Established Member
No, I wasn't planning on it. Just for clarification, SA is for cars and M is for motorcycles? And, does open or closed face matter?

SVTmojo

Track Junkie!
Established Member
I am not sure about the sa being for cars, and the M for motorcycles. I know I have a motorcycle helmet, and it is rated SA2005, so I use it for everything, serves both purposes!

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
freebass55 said:
No, I wasn't planning on it. Just for clarification, SA is for cars and M is for motorcycles? And, does open or closed face matter?

Good!

Correct "M" rating is for motorcycle applications and "SA" rating is a fire proof rating for automobile racing applications.

I prefer full face helmets myself. They also give you better face, mouth and chin protection than an open face style.

YMMV,

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
ac427cobra said:
Good!

Correct "M" rating is for motorcycle applications and "SA" rating is a fire proof rating for automobile racing applications.

I prefer full face helmets myself. They also give you better face, mouth and chin protection than an open face style.

YMMV,

+1 a steering wheel to the chops wouldn't feel very good

shlbygt

Established Member
From Snell:http://www.smf.org/

What are the differences between the SA, M and K standards?

SA Standard was designed for auto racing while M Standard was for motorcycling and other motorsports. There are three major differences between them:
SA standard requires flammability test while the M standard does not;
SA standard allows narrower visual field than M standard (Some SA helmets may not be street legal);
SA standard has rollbar impact test while M standard does not.
The K standards are very similar to the SA standards, however the K standards omit the requirements for flame retardency.

Why replace helmet every five years?

The five year replacement recommendation is based on a consensus by both the helmet manufacturers and the Snell Foundation. Glues, resins and other materials used in helmet production over can affect liner materials. Hair oils, body fluids and cosmetics, as well as normal "wear and tear" all contribute to helmet degradation. Petroleum based products present in cleaners, paints, fuels and other commonly encountered materials may also degrade materials used in many helmets possibly degrading performance. Additionally, experience indicates there will be a noticeable improvement in the protective characteristic of helmets over a five year period due to advances in materials, designs, production methods and the standards. Thus, the recommendation for five year helmet replacement is a judgment call stemming from a prudent safety philosophy.

CobraRed01

CornerCarvinCravin
Established Member
A related question....Can anyone recommend a good, medium-priced ($300 - $400) SA2005 full-face helmet WITH a removeable liner for easy cleaning/replacement? Seems many of the major brands (Bell, Simpson, etc.) don't offer this feature. So how do you keep your helmet from smelling and rotting out by the end of the second summer season? Any tips? Thanks.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
CobraRed01 said:
A related question....Can anyone recommend a good, medium-priced ($300 - $400) SA2005 full-face helmet WITH a removeable liner for easy cleaning/replacement? Seems many of the major brands (Bell, Simpson, etc.) don't offer this feature. So how do you keep your helmet from smelling and rotting out by the end of the second summer season? Any tips? Thanks.

Nobody makes a removeable liner that I know of? :read:

A head sock (that CAN be washed) also known as a balaclava, can be used to keep sweat out of your helmet lining. That's the good part. The bad part is on hot days, you will be even hotter! :cryying: But you'll have better head fire protection if you use a fireproof style? :idea:

They have helmet sprays that are similar to the product Fabreeze which helps keep the stink out of your helmet. I'm on year four with my helmet and the last two years we have had quite a few steamy events and my helmet is mighty stinky! :(

A helmet should be replaced after four or five years anyway. I'm due next Spring!

FWIW,

CobraRed01

CornerCarvinCravin
Established Member
thanks ac....I dug a little deeper after I posted my question and found the following helmets in this price range. I couldn't find any info about removeable liners on the high-end brands (Bell, Simpson, etc.) that's why I asked the pros in here. Seems Sparco makes one as does Stand-21, but plan on spending >$1,000 for one. Ouch.

I'm not sure about the quality of these two brands, but if they pass muster, then these are two viable options then.

http://www.pyrotect.com/product.php?productid=47&cat=0&page=1&featured

http://www.race-sport.net/HJCHelmets.html

Considering how much I perspire (even as a young'en) I'll probably need one of these. I figure if I wore a balaclava my head would burst into flame despite the profuse perspiration....LOL. Not sure how well a removeable liner stands up to repeated cleaning vs. safety integrity. I read in a post somewhere else that the Pyrotect was "surprisingly heavier" than a comparable Bell the poster owned. If you have heard anything about these brands at the track it might be good to let everyone know these opinions. I guess if they can get the SA2005 rating they'll be fine...and maybe less air-o-matic... for a couple of years.

edz

Retired.
Established Member
Buy a cheep, but good helmet. G-Force makes several, all low priced at multiple vendors, and replace it every year,or so. I use the GF750 "SA" open face, bought at Jegs.com for $150.00 . It gets used for over 12 weekends yearly, and I sweat a lot, especially in South Florida. I have 4 head socks that I change out over the weekend.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread