Hello California....emissions questions

Yell98CobraVert

Established Member
Unfortunately the Washington State Senate just passed the "California Emissions Standards"!!!! :cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss:

I have a 98 Cobra and have recently installed a KB blower. I want to install the KB CAI, but my Cobra has that damn smog unit located in the right front fender well which will not allow enough room for the large air filter. Before this new Bill takes effect, I want to take it out. So I have the following questions:

1. Have any of you taken it out? If so, how do you pass the emissions test?

2. Does the smog unit affect hp?

3. Have any of you relocated it? If so, where to?

4. Rumor has it that a blower on the street will be illegal ... are they in Cal.

5. Any other emissions related info that might help?

Thanks guys!!!!!!! :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

bdcardinal

I Spend car money on guns
Established Member
Premium Member
as long as the blower has a CARB EO number it is legal. you have to have the ORM midpipe(no aftermarket midpipes including catted ones). is the smog unit the electric smog pump? you might be able to relocate it slightly to make room for the CAI.

DSG2003

Established Member
I have heard that in CA you can not run an after market turbo and pass. So I would venture to say that if that is true you might have a hard time. Just relaying info I recieved from other guys around here with after market turbos. I know you are talking about a blower.

WhiteDevil

Pushrod Power
Established Member
Tons of people around here have blowers, most blowers have C.A.R.B. numbers so they are passable, i pass with all the mods in my sig, except ihve to put my stock H back on.

bdcardinal

I Spend car money on guns
Established Member
Premium Member
03PSI said:
I have heard that in CA you can not run an after market turbo and pass. So I would venture to say that if that is true you might have a hard time. Just relaying info I recieved from other guys around here with after market turbos. I know you are talking about a blower.
i dont think there are any turbo kits for newer mustangs that are CARB legal. i know there were some for a 5.0 stang that were legal.

the state has been cracking down pretty hard on the smog shops so a lot of them have begun sending cars with mods to referee stations.

geepaw

Heck yes I did it!
Established Member
bdcardinal said:
the state has been cracking down pretty hard on the smog shops so a lot of them have begun sending cars with mods to referee stations.

what he said...I almost had to go to a referee station twice for my honda even though everything has a carb E#

Yell98CobraVert

Established Member
bdcardinal said:
as long as the blower has a CARB EO number it is legal. you have to have the ORM midpipe(no aftermarket midpipes including catted ones). is the smog unit the electric smog pump? you might be able to relocate it slightly to make room for the CAI.

Do you have to apply for a CARB EO number? I'm not sure Washington will even have that requirement, just curious. Damn...I was going to add the Bassani catted "X" pipe to my Bassani catbacks....guess I better hold off for a while and see what these tree huggin' moron's end up with; I may have to move back to Texas!

Users who are viewing this thread