Hellion turbo on a 93

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
Even with an open downpipe they're a bit muffled, yet sound real aggressive. Mine sounds damn near stock now, and before I put the turbo on it was loud with the Mac catback. I'm really liking how quiet it is. From idle to wide open it sounds nearly stock, but I can really hear the turbo screaming away until I let off.

UWISSSH

Underground 93 Guru
Established Member
I would be very interested to hear some sound clips/video to see just how stock or "top fuel" they sound. I'm very interested in this kit due to no cutting, power potential, etc but don't know how much I would enjoy a stock sounding car which is the only reason i'm still debating going the blower route. Are you guys running on stock heads?

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
My engine is totally stock except for the 42lb injectors. The only plans I have for it are new head gaskets and ARP head bolts. But that's only if I have problems with the current ones.

I'll tell you the one and only thing I've ever not liked about the turbo setup, that was a lack of the "power adder" sound at idle or under cruise. Until WOT, you really don't have a clue it's even there. It doesn't make a peep. Some people like them quiet, some like the sound.

And as far as it sounding stock, well that may have been a big of an exaggeration on my part. It sounds like a typical mustang with a catback system. I'm running the MAC catback which I'm going to change here pretty soon. When you run a straight through type muffler like a magnaflow, or the Dynomax Ultraflow Bullet, you get a lot more sound out of them.

Whichever system you use, the turbo will quiet it down more than a typical car.

green 02 grizzl

Established Member
I am basically stock too. I think the best part of the kit maybe that it may get rid of the "drone zone".

03BlownSnake

SVT Tech
Established Member
Ok, I just finished installing everything. I bought some steel and relocated the intercooler lower. I had to cut some of the bumper's lower fascia to make room for it, but its not even noticeable, so it looks great.
I am having it tuned tomorrow, so I will have numbers posted as soon as I get back from the dyno

03BlownSnake

SVT Tech
Established Member
90mustang306 said:
what cam are you using?
Using the cam I had with my previous blower, Crane 2031.
I know its not a turbo cam, but it will have to do for now.

Regarding my video... I am having trouble with it hosting.. still trying though and although the quality of it sucks (video phone) I still want to post it to give you guys an idea of it

fasterandfaster

Might you be interesteed in selling the stock intake boot, bracket, and air box, clamps etc?
My 93 airfilter setup with 22k miles has been replaced with a MAC cold air intake. I want all original parts in mint condition. I do not need the MAF.
If anyone out here wants to trade even then letme know.
[email protected]

green 02 grizzl

Established Member
03BlownSnake said:
Using the cam I had with my previous blower, Crane 2031.
I know its not a turbo cam, but it will have to do for now.

Regarding my video... I am having trouble with it hosting.. still trying though and although the quality of it sucks (video phone) I still want to post it to give you guys an idea of it

I hope you have better luck with the tuning than I did. My car has been in the shop for almost 3 weeks and tomorrow I am picking it up. The guy tuning it says that my set up can not be tuned. He says the car is not consistent on its air fuel ratio. One run its at 11 or so and the next run without adjustments it is at 16.:bash:

03BlownSnake

SVT Tech
Established Member
What is he using to tune it?
My tuner, Dan, is the VP of Dynojet and has been doing this for years. So hopefully I will have better luck.

green 02 grizzl

Established Member
He was using sct stuff on a dynojet dyno. He is no longer working on it now. It maybe left up to me and a tweecer??

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
Whatever issue that's creating an a/f inconsistency like that is not tune related. You've got a fuel system issue with the car. Although it could be a bad/acting up wideband sensor or connector. And what computer are you using?

green 02 grizzl

Established Member
If your talking about the computer for the car or the eec it is the stock stuff-x3z

Last edited:

buddha93

Established Member
green 02 grizzl said:
I hope you have better luck with the tuning than I did. My car has been in the shop for almost 3 weeks and tomorrow I am picking it up. The guy tuning it says that my set up can not be tuned. He says the car is not consistent on its air fuel ratio. One run its at 11 or so and the next run without adjustments it is at 16.:bash:

Sounds like you need a new tuner to me. :dw:

Regardless, he should have been able to pinpoint the problem. There's no reason that SCT shouldn't have worked, so if you've already invested in the hardware for it, go find a reputable tuner.

UWISSSH

Underground 93 Guru
Established Member
Not sure if you guys caught the MMFF from nov 05' but they did a write up of a hellion install on a 92 lx 5.0 and they really stressed having the mass air meter and surrounding tubing as straight as possible since it's a blow through design. Not sure if that's causing your tuning issues but worth a look. Urist was doing the install and i guess by simply rotating the mass air toward the outter fender will lean it out, and turning inner will richen it. Hope that helps!

green 02 grizzl

Established Member
The blow thru design is what he is blaming. A different tuner is definately needed. I have the maf senser that came with the kit (c&l 76 mm but it is for a Gt and also a pull thru design) I was looking at a pro m bullet because it is actually a blow thru set up. Any opinions on the pro m????

It is great to have others insight.:beer:

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
You need to ditch that cobra computer, pick up an A9L, and then ditch that C&L that's not even designed for what you're trying to do and pick up a blow through meter. Your headaches will be gone.

Either an older ProM blow through, or the new PMAS blow through. The new PMAS is the lastest design and with it's own length you don't have to worry about how it's clocked, or what bends are before or after it. I have that one, and I have absolutely no problems whatsoever. At full boost my a/f drops to low 11's and stays there. No idle problems, nothing. I'm also running 42 lb injectors.

Anyway, you're not going to get it running right until you upgrade that stuff. I'm told that cobra computer is difficult to work with too.

03BlownSnake

SVT Tech
Established Member
So I have a problem with mine too. Although like I said, this guy knows his stuff. He actually had to use a A9L program on my X3Z pcm. He spent about 2.5 hours working on my car, he absolutely hated the blow through maf design (C&L) Said it was a terrible design and he actually contacted Urist about his kits to make them better.
Anyways...
My car is "tuned" now. I can't go above 5100 rpm's though, the MAF pegged out at 4500 rpms so it goes lean BAD above 5k.
So numbers are as follows... at only 14 deg timing
473.06 rwhp @ 5025 rpms,,, and 524.32 rwtq @ 4230 rpms

So now I have to find a way to either make my Lightning meter work with this set up or to contact Pro-M and see if the can provide something better for this set up. Dan (tuner) absolutely hated the MAF set up.
SO he is telling me that 550 is possible once I get the car running right, oh well. More money to spend

Users who are viewing this thread