Hellion Turbo 2003 - Vert ZY *Priced to sell*

usmcvet02

Fassst
Established Member
Thanks vettez...I think so too. Just got the car towed home...going to have the gasket replaced and get it checked out. Labor was my big concern but I just got a family hookup. $400 not bad I think?

vettez062002

baller on a budget
Established Member
Thanks vettez...I think so too. Just got the car towed home...going to have the gasket replaced and get it checked out. Labor was my big concern but I just got a family hookup. $400 not bad I think?

Including parts? That's very very cheap. Personally I would go mls head gaskets and Arp head studs while its apart.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

badblacklx

Established Member
That's very cheap as long as he knows what he's doing. These things are not easy to time. And a Turbo just makes things even harder to do lol

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

This and I agree add some headstuds while you are at it for insurance. Also after car is running again you should check/ re torque head studs with torque wrench after say 500 and 1500miles to be sure they are torqued correctly.

usmcvet02

Fassst
Established Member
Well guys, after much researching I'm starting to think I have air in the coolant system.... the car didn't start acting up until I was tightening all clamps on the hoses and noticed one clamp was broken. The hose coming from the crossover tube came off and coolant gushed out and I quickly put it back on with a new clamp. Coolant was low so I filled through the reservoir and left it like that..... just realized this is a big NO NO for our engines! Going to burp the system per the instructions as soon as I get off work! :bash:

ACESCOBRA

Bring it on!
Established Member
I had the same issue. U have to burb the system from air bubbles. use the top cap screw to open the highest point of the coolant system to burb it, next to the blower. Use a funnel and massage the hoses untill all bubbles are out. close it, turn the car on, watch the temp on the miles gauge by fliping the key to the on position with the reset miles button pressed and wait till the temp stays at 80 (depends on ur thermostat) and go for a ride. good luck

Dimitri318

Established Member
Sorry to say but I already replaced the radiator, thermostat, and the water pump when i had it man. The car quit overheating on me after i changed all of those parts, so i'm guessing u do have a blown head gasket.

usmcvet02

Fassst
Established Member
So I finished burping the system again this morning and took it for a drive this afternoon....the temp never went above 194!! Drove it easy then got into boost after 20 min. Runs great! I want to thank you all for the advice! 2 different mechs said it was the head gaskets. I do notice a little more smoke from the tailpipes than normal....maybe because the cars been sitting for a week??? I'll keep an eye on it but it's definitely not a smoke show.
:cheers:

yelostang

Established Member
So I finished burping the system again this morning and took it for a drive this afternoon....the temp never went above 194!! Drove it easy then got into boost after 20 min. Runs great! I want to thank you all for the advice! 2 different mechs said it was the head gaskets. I do notice a little more smoke from the tailpipes than normal....maybe because the cars been sitting for a week??? I'll keep an eye on it but it's definitely not a smoke show.
:cheers:

That smoke may be from oil getting into the turbo from the PCV system. Check the inlet to the turbo for residue and if there is anything in the inlet clean it out. I had problems with build up in there so I bought a seperator to try and fix the problem, but never got around to installing it.

I would check the downpipe too just incase...I doubt there is anything in there but it is easier, and cheaper, to do that than to replace the head gaskets.

usmcvet02

Fassst
Established Member
It definitely looks like oil is getting there from the pcv system... I'll be installing a seperator this week. Could this cause any damage? Should I not drive it until I install it? :beer:

usmcvet02

Fassst
Established Member
UPDATE: the car started overheating and puking again.... ended up being a bad reservoir that was giving me all these headaches! The cooling system can be a real PITA.

yelostang

Established Member
It definitely looks like oil is getting there from the pcv system... I'll be installing a seperator this week. Could this cause any damage? Should I not drive it until I install it? :beer:

It should be fine without it...just clean out the inlet every once in a while.

UPDATE: the car started overheating and puking again.... ended up being a bad reservoir that was giving me all these headaches! The cooling system can be a real PITA.

The cooling systems have to be filled and burped just right or you will have problems.

I sure do miss that turd sometimes...put a lot of work and $$$ into it.

Users who are viewing this thread