Hellion T-76 Turbo: Exhaust Keeps Blowing Off

killspray

The Killstroyer
Established Member
Hey guys,

I have an 01 Cobra with a T76 Turbo from Hellion and my exhaust keeps blowing off at the track.... where the downpipe connects to the mid-pipe. Happened on 9-09-12 at the track and happened again this past Friday 9-21-12. I'm tightening the Hell out of it but it just looks like it 1. doesn't align properly and 2. looks like too much of a reduction in diameter from downpipe to mid pipe. Has anyone else had this problem?

IMG_3552_zps3cac80b4.jpg

JP_Stang

Established Member
I hate those type of connections! I run Hooker headers and my X-pipe connects the same way to them. You probably won't get that clamp tight enough. You may need to look into switching to V-band clamps or having it welded...

static74

in the 9's
Established Member
You can get a wider clamp of the same style from o riely. you have to ask for them, they are in the back.

you are going to get that swapped to a vband. thats too much weight for a clamp that style IMO, it looks like its hanging from pretty far back.

88mmRocket

Established Member
a couple options:

1. disconnect it at the track as it is a restriction anyway.
2. put a V band on it.
3. put a Y-pipe with a closed flange on it and when at the track open it, put it on for the street.

killspray

The Killstroyer
Established Member
Thanks guys for the feedback. I've been doing some digging on running open downpipe but it's just a bit too much for me... Seems like a good opportunity to upgrade the setup or just tack weld it... Haven't decided yet.

goat-ee

Established Member
My setup has never done that, in fact it's a PITA to take loose!! I can't hardly imagine a situation where it would come loose? Assuming your still using the clamp that came from Hellion, the next thing I would try to look closely at, is the clearance on the cutouts on the pipe that your putting the clamp on, and make sure that your not running out space as you tighten it down. Otherwise your just working against yourself. Those clamps (with anti-seize on threads) will take some serious tightening!!! And without something seriously wrong, should get more than tight enough.

itSSlow98

Established Member
^^^ Mine is the same way, you literally have to beat it with a hammer to get that connection to seperate. It almost looks like the connection was modified because the size of the slit opening in the slip connector is pretty wide.

You could also just go get a heavy duty Ubolt exhaust clamp and tighten the hell out of it. Going to a Vband would be a waste of money.

goat-ee

Established Member
^^^ Mine is the same way, you literally have to beat it with a hammer to get that connection to seperate. It almost looks like the connection was modified because the size of the slit opening in the slip connector is pretty wide.

You could also just go get a heavy duty Ubolt exhaust clamp and tighten the hell out of it. Going to a Vband would be a waste of money.

THIS^^ Even with garbage Flowmaster exhaust there shouldn't be anywhere near enough pressure to blow off the down pipe. Something else going on here. I did have one of those clamps start to seize at the bottom of the travel once (stainless is not a good choice for threaded applications by the way), so check the threads closely and make sure to anti-sieze it and the rest of your clamps.

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
Never had a problem with mine. As others have said, its actually quite a PITA to get off. Definitely hate too how low that pipe hangs. Wish there was a better solution for that.

Users who are viewing this thread