Hellion Install day 1...

bouncer18

Established Member
8 hours into the install...

Inner cooler mounted.. injectors and fuel pump installed... K-member removed (waqiting for new one to get here.. had to have it over nighted to get this installed in time...) all oil lines plummed in.. just need to tighten them... oil filter relocation done....

this is about 10 hours into the install.. had to fab up some of my own stuff to get this together so far... missing the spacer for turbo bracket.. upper innercooler mount bracket to long.. few more odds and ends...

we hope to have it done tomorrow.. thats when our dyno tune is scheduled... i guess it all depends on what time i get the K-member...

Definatlly dont recomend a home install for the beginer / moderate shade tree mechanic.. this is tougher then doing a motor teardown on a 5 liter mustang...

Dont got any pics.. i was in to much of a hurry to get as much done as i possibly could in order to hit the appointment... ill try to get pics tomorrow .. we shall see...

:pop:

lasercobra

No SVT
Established Member
viperbluelx said:
I'd build the bottom end first.

Well, what's the difference between then and now? I'm already pushing it. Turbo boost can be easily controlled and it's less stressful on the motor when compared to a centri blower. I would run around 7# or at least enough to get the same power I'm making today. But who am I kidding- this ain't happening anytime soon.... :poke:

bouncer18

Established Member
Kit did come complete i noticed after day 2... the spacers were in a bag i thought was full of exhaust bolts.. i repeat.. Kit is complete.. and its a 62 mm

Onto day 2...

All the cold side is installed.. still waiting for the Kmember.. UPR overnighted it to me as promised but UPS ****ed up.. they scanned it for delivery and then 2 hours later the scanned it back into the station.. we dont know why and UPS didnt "know what trailor" it was in so they couldnt go to the yard and get it.. needless to say they realise that this piece is whats holding a 7500 dollar project back and if its not done on time they are liable.. i expect to see it first thing in the morning.

Anyways.. bumper is back on.. like i said all the cold parts are in..Air filter, mass air meter, inleet tube, down pipe is on, checked the hot parts for fitment and man.. they are SWEEEEET.. it fits together like you wouldnt belive.. A+++

As far as bottom end goes.. read before you post.. you can run 8 lbs of boost ALL DAY LONG (as long as you drive like a normal person) and not have any problems... its the same as nitrous.. i mean come on.. do you think these engines are designed to put out what they do from the factory and anything after that causes malfunction?

Its control and tune that makes it last

Hepcat007

Established Member
Very cool, I wish Hellion was around when i did mine. Keep us posted, can't wait to hear the results. Turbos are awesome when you finally get everything to work right.

bouncer18

Established Member
Hepcat: do you have cat's?

i got mine without cats and going thru mac Flowpaths that dump over hte axle.. i think it may be a bit overkill....?

Hepcat007

Established Member
bouncer18 said:
Hepcat: do you have cat's?

i got mine without cats and going thru mac Flowpaths that dump over hte axle.. i think it may be a bit overkill....?

Cats are long gone. Basically I have a custom X-Pipe with a Mustang GT Mac exhaust with bassani mufflers instead of the mac ones.

kingCOBRAsvt_99

STOCK..looking
Established Member
:pop: cuz Ive been considering a Turbo for one of my cars. Not sure which car it would go on yet tho.

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
bouncer18 said:
As far as bottom end goes.. read before you post.. you can run 8 lbs of boost ALL DAY LONG (as long as you drive like a normal person) and not have any problems... its the same as nitrous.. i mean come on.. do you think these engines are designed to put out what they do from the factory and anything after that causes malfunction?

Its control and tune that makes it last

I disagree. The increased cylinder pressure combined with the high rpms of a cobra motor can take their toll on the rods. A hint of detonation due to bad gas, a pegged maf, a weak fuel pump, a mildly clogged fuel filter, etc and your piston frags a land.

These motors can handle 380rwhp NA no problem, but once you start messing with boost, it gets ugly quick.
So yes, I do think that these engines are designed to put out around what they do from the factory and anything more causes problems.

lasercobra

No SVT
Established Member
No power level is a guarantee no matter the tune. I've read about cars letting go on 6# of easy driving. Too many factors/variables to consider...

Users who are viewing this thread