heel/toe shifting questions

Hunter6

Established Member
I just took the Bondurant one day intro to racing course and now I am convinced I am a friggen race car driver! So I go to try out the latest in racing techniques know as "heel/toe" shifting and I realize it's a stretch from the brake to the trottle. Anything on the market help to bring the two closer so I can continue my rise to fame and fortune?!?!?:loser:

PhillyCobra

Established Member
Like a lot of other people, I heel and toe with left side of right foot on edge of break pedal and toe on accelerator. The pedal alignment is perfect to do this on the Cobra. It's not the classic placement, but it works.

702lightning

Sck Snake
Established Member
On the cobras the pedals arnt in the greatest postion. But if you sort of twist your leg towards the door its easier. Then w/ you right foot tilt it to the right placing the ball of your foot on the brake and yours heel on the gas. It works for me. Just try it out.

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
Originally posted by PhillyCobra
Like a lot of other people, I heel and toe with left side of right foot on edge of break pedal and toe on accelerator. The pedal alignment is perfect to do this on the Cobra. It's not the classic placement, but it works.

I use the same positioning, but have somewhat smallish feet, so I definitely have issues (it's a bit of a reach). I really think the answer is just an extension of the gas pedal to put it near the same height as the brake.

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
I thought it was just me. I have to really point my foot sideways and down to reach the gas. I'm just learning and couldn't decide which way to point my foot.

PhillyCobra

Established Member
You have got 2 opposite opinions so far on which way to point your foot. I think you should just experiment and see what works best for you.

I like the side of the foot on the brake and the toe on the accelerator mostly because it takes a lot more force to push the brake than the accelerator, particularly when you're driving for speed, and I can control the brake better that way.

Remember, you want to line things up with the brake pushed in to where you're really slowing, which is several inches below the resting position for the pedal, and you won't have to push the accelerator in too far to blip the engine.

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
Yes, I just need practice. It's hard to get on the street as I'm not willing to do it in traffic. I don't want to mess up and hurt someone.

I have pressed hard enough to engage the antilock trying to line the pedals up but I still have to angle down a little to blip the throttle. I guess it's hard to teach a middle age dog new tricks. :)

Hunter6

Established Member
Thank all of you for helping me out. That is why this site is so great.:)

TwoToneFreak

MMMM, Spintechs!!
Established Member
That by far was one of the best mods I did to my GT. I couldn't belive how much better it felt driving the car, plus I now have a true full throttle where as it didn't before.

Jon

Relax, have a homebrew!
Established Member
I did the aforementioned mod to bring the gas pedal up.

However, I don't really find myself needing to heel-and-toe this car at all.

Hunter6

Established Member
Yeah, I know, I don't NEED to heel/toe either, I don't NEED to do a lot of things...but it would be cool to try it out from time to time.:)

Users who are viewing this thread