Heavyweight Division

J_ho67

MD in training
Established Member
The heavyweight division in the UFC (not all of MMA, just the UFC) is easily the lamest of all the divisions. The fighters considered to be the top fighters in this bracket (Brock, Mir, Shane, and a couple others) collectively have the least amount of fighting skill and ability than the top fighters at every other weight class. I seem to be the only one that thinks that heavyweight is quite easily the most boring to watch. Just my .02

Discuss.

J_ho67

MD in training
Established Member
Go whoop their asses bro.

Not saying they don't belong in the UFC. They're definitely badasses. Overall, there's a lot more wrestling, pushing, laying, and holding in HW than any other class. The division is mainly about strength and size rather than skill. This is the only weight class like that.

Way to contribute though...:rollseyes

czwalga00gt

Rx7 Soul Destructor
Established Member
Isn't this obvious? It's not that their are less skilled, its that alot of the crap that the smaller fighters do just doesnt work against guys that big/strong.

PhLoBuS

JDM/KB Lightning
Established Member
Its true they are just not athletic and less skilled imo. Watch Couture vs Brock... Yes Brock won it but if Couture was anywhere near the same size as him. Brock would have no chance because he is less skilled.

gump

aka jamz
Established Member
Its true they are just not athletic and less skilled imo. Watch Couture vs Brock... Yes Brock won it but if Couture was anywhere near the same size as him. Brock would have no chance because he is less skilled.

back in the 90s when the fighters would fight more than once in a night, I saw Couture take out a 290 pounder + a 300 pounder in the same night. Can't remember the other fighters' names but one was black the other white. Both were built like a Mac truck. Randy had wrestled them to the ground and eventually hit them enough that they both submitted. This may have been 1998 or so.

boltonmach1

Established Member
The HW class in MMA has seen a rise in talented people over the past few years. It's only going to keep getting better and better. I don't know anybody that can outwrestle brock lesnar, I'd call that a very high skill. Look how much St. Pierre relies on it to get him through his fights.

swoosh_stang

I'm not evil, Trust Me
Established Member
Frankly, it's the same way in boxing. The talented athletes that range into the 6-3+ and/or 220+lbs range play other sports.

The reason the other weight classes are so gifted with talent is because they don't have to compete with the bigger sports for talent. A 5ft tall dude who weighs 130lbs will never make it in any of the major sports, but he can be a hell of a fighter in his weight class, and can be unbelievably fun to watch.

JYOO

Established Member
Look out for Alistair Overeem aka Ubereem. He is one skilled big time heavyweight and in my opinion would of zulu'd both the Shane and Brock we saw on Saturday. His heart and chin are his only BIG question marks, but as skills go hes pretty even with Fedor minus the subs and intangibles.

Users who are viewing this thread