Heater Core?

tohighpsi

Established Member
Ok I am pretty sure the heater core in my car has gone up. I am just wondering who has to replace one of these and what kind of job it is. How long did it take? and what can I expect to pay for a heater core? Thanks for the help guys!

JustaGT

N/A Ain't For Me!
Established Member
You can get the heater core replaced for like 50 bucks but the install is a pita. You have to remove the whole dash and console.

joseph.devenney

How hard could it be
Established Member
Heater core cost me 90 bucks, install took about 2 days with a buddy. You can do it by yourself in a couple days. It's not all that bad, just time consuming.

tohighpsi

Established Member
Heater core cost me 90 bucks, install took about 2 days with a buddy. You can do it by yourself in a couple days. It's not all that bad, just time consuming.

My dad was an auto electrical tech so he has plenty of experience pulling dashes and stuff. I don't daily the car so its not that big of a deal

joseph.devenney

How hard could it be
Established Member
You don't need any electrical experience for this job, the dash will swing out on the passenger side after I think 11 bolts? I pulled my seats, center console and dropped my steering column. I'm pretty small so I had enough room to work.

redfr03svtsnake

Import Killer since 03'
Established Member
i think mine is going bad too, ive got a leak of antifreeze coming from the little drain on the firewall on the passengers side- im going to try some radiator stop leak first cuz im seriously sick of working on this car, its one little thing after another.....

Blueline

Established Member
i think mine is going bad too, ive got a leak of antifreeze coming from the little drain on the firewall on the passengers side- im going to try some radiator stop leak first cuz im seriously sick of working on this car, its one little thing after another.....

Just bypass it for now. Im sure your not gonna need heat for awhile now. Just bypass it till the fall and do it then. :beer:

tohighpsi

Established Member
Just bypass it for now. Im sure your not gonna need heat for awhile now. Just bypass it till the fall and do it then. :beer:

I thought about that. But I dont really drive the car much at all so its nothing for it to be down for a few days.

GoatSlayer

Banned

It could be the rubber hose going into the fire wall. One of those hoses is usually into contact with a stud stick out of the firewall and when the engine moves its pokes the rubber hose. After a while/long while, it penetrates the rubber hose. Just fixed that in my car last winter. Thank God it wasnt the heater core.

Users who are viewing this thread