Heater core is leaking. Can I just bypass it?

pacific4v

Established Member
Well I got my car out for the first time in a month or so and it kept wanting to overheat on me. After I got it back home I noticed steam rolling out of my defrost vent and the back side of my hood(by the windshield) and a little antifreeze on my floorboard. Upon further inspection I saw a small puddle under the car on the passenger side above where the heater core hoses go thru the firewall. Its hard to see on the firewall but i can see coolant dripping out of what looks like a black plastic piece about 6" or so below where the heater hoses go in. I really don't feel like replacing my heater core right now(or in the immediate future) and was wondering if anyone has bypassed the heater core on their cobra and how they did it. Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

pmcferron

Established Member
i just took a nipple and a couple hose clamps the size of my heater hoses and spliced the 2 hoses together simple quick fix.

pacific4v

Established Member
I bypassed the heater core this weekend and it seems to be holding up for now. I'm just worried about the plastic coupler cracking or it leaking where it goes into the hoses, plus the hoses are molded to face the firewall and are hard to get to face each other to connect to one another. How hard is it to replace those heater hoses? I'm debating just getting one hose instead of splicing the two hoses together. My buddy was saying it might be a lot easier to get to with the transmission out. Any body confirm this? I'm gonna be replacing my TOB soon and could do it then if it is easier to get to

Users who are viewing this thread