Heater Core Hoses Busting :fm:

Mach0ne351

Established Member
hey all
i was at scramento raceway last weekend, and on my 4th and last run my heater core hoses busted on me. coolant leaked everywhere, and i had to towed home ~200miles. have any of your 99/01 cobra owners ever had your hoses bust on you at all? my bro says that it was good that it broke on my on the track, or it wouyld have anyways on the highway. i was pissed! :fm: :cuss: haha

-marek

NJStangFan

CJMF V.P.
Established Member
Holy crap!!! This just happened to me on Saturday at Garden State FFW!!! :cuss: $50 for two time shots and then...

2DSC00003.JPG

Gotta find the part number and order one since the locals can't figure out the part number over the phone... :bash:

Big props to JDM Engineering's SuperTech Sean for patching me up for the limp home. :burnout:

I was at the SVTOA On-Track last weekend and nothing was wrong... :shrug:

Last edited:

lemosley01

Right Wing Conspirator
Established Member
I have heard of this happening. There is a reducer to reduce the flow going into the heater core, but I can't recall if it is before the hose (coming out of the heard) or after the hose (going into the heater core). I think it is coming out of the head. The idea is to control the pressure so that doesn't happen. Maybe yours has been removed?

NJStangFan

CJMF V.P.
Established Member
Yeah, it got removed when I took the hose off to have Sean cut it. It will go back in tonight when I get the new hose for $40 :cuss:

Joe Lynch

Established Member
Check to see if there is a screw from the firewall rubbing the hose. I had that problem 5 years ago and cut the screw off so it wouldn't rub. It is hell getting to the clamp at the head connection.

Joe

Last edited:

01cobra'''dohc

Huffman Brothers Racing
Established Member
my hose busted too. i got lucky and it was right before the u- bend. ford put a hard plastic piece in the hose so it wouldn't kink. i cut the bad piece off and added about 3 inches and then clamped both sides. works great. if u need the part number pm me and i'll get it for u"i had ford order a hose just in case my fix didn't work". and to think i was the only one who ever had this problem.

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
Just a thought for you guys that are blowing hoses... do you use Purple Stuff, Simple Green, engine degreaser or anything like that to clean your engines? I have seen that stuff (when used too strongly) weaken the rubber on hoses, belts, etc and cause the same issues you are having.

Hope this helps.

EVLSVT

Banned
EXACT same thing happened to me up in wisconsin, did 7 runs and then the hose broke, what i fould out was this was the problem...

The way the factory puts it in, the hose is leaning up against a bolt, and when the engine is TORQUEING it keeps scraping away at it until it makes a hole....

There have also been known issues about it being up against the firewall and it was just melting, so I got it replaced, and they re-located it (twisted it around in a loop) so it dosent happen again. :pepper: :idea:

NJStangFan

CJMF V.P.
Established Member
brkntrxn said:
Just a thought for you guys that are blowing hoses... do you use Purple Stuff, Simple Green, engine degreaser or anything like that to clean your engines? I have seen that stuff (when used too strongly) weaken the rubber on hoses, belts, etc and cause the same issues you are having.

Hope this helps.

I don't use anything on the hoses for that reason. It is just the torquing of the motor pinching the hose onto the too-long bolt... :cuss:

NJStangFan

CJMF V.P.
Established Member
EVLSVT said:
EXACT same thing happened to me up in wisconsin, did 7 runs and then the hose broke, what i fould out was this was the problem...

We should start a support group. :idea:

EVLSVT said:
The way the factory puts it in, the hose is leaning up against a bolt, and when the engine is TORQUEING it keeps scraping away at it until it makes a hole....

Great engineering!!!

job_one.jpg

NJStangFan

CJMF V.P.
Established Member
The bolt comes out of the firewall. You can only really see it when you take the supply line to the heater core off. See below.

2DSC00139.JPG

2DSC00141.JPG

2DSC00142.JPG

2DSC00143.JPG

:mj:

NJStangFan

CJMF V.P.
Established Member
I got the part at lunch yesterday (finally... :rollseyes ) and replaced it last night. The bitch was not having a long enough pair of needlenose pliers to reach the clip on the engine side of the hose to get the broken one off easily. :nonono: I only have one busted knuckle after the fight last night... :kaboom:

Users who are viewing this thread