Heat Wrapping Headers??

AutoRed5.0

Established Member
So I just ordered a set of Pypes Longtube Headers with offroad X pipe
Is it a good idea to use Heat Wrap on the headers & X-pipe or will it damage the coating on the headers?

jn2

Established Member
X pipe would prob be fine, don't wrap the headers if you DD the car. They used 18 gauge steel, high chance of cracking the welds

jande063

Established Member
Interesting that they have issues with that. A lot of guys I deal with have wrapped headers, daily drive and road race the car, and have no issues. Granted, I have not had many clients with Mustangs.

Another solution if you don't want to wrap the header is a heat shield plate around the headers. We have seen major drops in underhand temps on endurance racers using a thin sheet of aluminum and some reflective tape.

pickles

Established Member
I heat wrapped around the collectors on mine. Heat wrap + clocked o2 bungs seemed to have solved my oxygen sensor failure problems

AutoRed5.0

Established Member
Interesting that they have issues with that. A lot of guys I deal with have wrapped headers, daily drive and road race the car, and have no issues. Granted, I have not had many clients with Mustangs.

Another solution if you don't want to wrap the header is a heat shield plate around the headers. We have seen major drops in underhand temps on endurance racers using a thin sheet of aluminum and some reflective tape.

I had heard mixed details about heat wrapping Headers, Some have done it & have zero issues, others say the heat wrap can cause the coating on the headers to come off, Welds getting broken,a lot of mix reviews
But the heat Shield isn't a bad idea
I will look into it, Thanks for the info

noldevin

Established Member
Heat wrap can trap moisture against the headers and cause gradual corrosion or crack the welds. You definitely don't want to use the type that you have to wet.

noldevin

Established Member
It doesn't really matter what the heat wrap is made out of. There's no real reason to heat wrap it. If you're super worried get them ceramic coated. Otherwise just throw them on and have fun.

AutoRed5.0

Established Member
It doesn't really matter what the heat wrap is made out of. There's no real reason to heat wrap it. If you're super worried get them ceramic coated. Otherwise just throw them on and have fun.

I'm not worried at all, just trying to squeeze every hp I can out of them that's all
The fun part I will have is installing them

Oxford5pointoh

Established Member
I wrapped my ARH I picked up for my whippled coyote. I haven't installed them yet but I know I will not have any issues with my ARH cracking. Wrapping these will keep the engine bay temps down significantly. For me it's worth it but I do not daily mine.

84cca2786b3a2a8e8576af211a0333cc.jpg

d1d04555015397ecc5a51e3d776f6c91.jpg

I say wrap away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread