Heat topic, I know I know talked about to death.

B03Cobra

SVT G0D
Established Member
Guys, long time no talk! Hope everyone is well... Question?

What can we do about heat? I have a aftermarket HE, thinking about a new radiator, caps fine, thermo is fine. But :) yes Utah it has started heating up again. The other day it was about 95 outside, and it beings! :) Yes the wonderful overheating, my fans kick on way early from the chip, im running a more water then coolant mix with wetter. What else can we do? Are we cursed with heat soaked engines? I understand the thing is going to heat up, but I was only driving for about an hour. Anyone have any luck with anything?

BenD

Established Member
The heating issue is problematic, but significantly worse when you are spinning the Eaton faster. Unfortunately you'll probably have to follow my lead through the process of elimination.

I road race and that exacerbates many problems, over heating is just one of them. I have the 2.80 pulley which spins the Eaton 30% over design, some 17,700 RPM's as compared to it's stock value of 15,500.

I have the Gordsford HE with dual fans, Fluidyne Radiator, Hi-Flow thermostst. The stock 180 thermo is not a hi-flow, you need to change that. I also have the hood blanket removed and the vents fastened open with Velcro strips. You want to remove that rubber water strip along the top at the cowl. Just remember to reinstall it when you go thru a car wash.

Even with those changes I over heated and the car went into limp mode, forcing me to suspend racing for the day.

Out of desperation I have decided to install ceramic coated headers before the next event in Aug.,which I know will remove much of the heat from the engine compartment. The expense and subsequent HP improvement with headers is really not worth it...but!

I have also shimmed the back of the hood up about 1/4" to help expell the hot air.

I really think the Kenny Brown redesigned fender vent modification will be the single most important mod for heat reduction. However, they don't have an availability date...yet!

That's about all I can offer, I hope it helps you a little bit. I been pulling my hair out over the heating issue, and don't have much of it left.

primo

Established Member
Try moving to phoenix, then you can complain! How about 107 for the high today.

B03Cobra

SVT G0D
Established Member
BenD,

Yeah sounds like youre in about the same boat as me, and probably many other people. I guess I will just have to drive the car after the sun goes down. Heh Heh. Tell me more about the KB fender vent mod if you could, I have not heard anything about this yet.

sam

Established Member
since it's imposible to get max performace because of the heat anyway, ben hit on it when he said 2.80 pulley. it would be best to save the max tune for cooler conditions, and get a 3.10 pulley for hotter conditions. on mine it gives me 13 lbs of boost, and i have not seen heat soak here in louisiana.

B03Cobra

SVT G0D
Established Member
Yeah I am way overspinning the blower I know that, so shouldnt expect anything to really help, but I was also overheating before one mod was even done.... So there is the flip side.. heh damned if ya do kinda situation.

BenD

Established Member
B03Cobra

Kenny Brown offered a Fender vent kit for some time, but I never liked the looks of it. It may still show on their Web site, I don't know. But the last conversation I had with Dave he said maybe a couple of months. Nothing definitive at this point in time.

However, with that said the mod involves cutting a triangle hole in the fender either in place of the Cobra emblem or just above it. Where the work comes in is cutting a hole in the inner fender well, apparently behind the shock tower. Just looking at it where it would have to go looks like a job for a professional custom shop.

In any case I have a shop lined up to do the work when the re-design becomes available. I'm determined to reduce the heat load in that engine compartment come hell or high water!!

Last edited:

beabout

Established Member
Here in Oklahoma it can get hot. I have not experienced heat problems. Don't race either. After reading all the posts I was wondering if, in conjunction with afore mentioned modifications the Apten cooling mod would help with heat on these motors?

JM2

JaketheSnake

roll race? where?
Established Member
headers will help extract heat, you will gain hp/ and tq throughtout the rpm's, you might not see a huge peak gain, but I guarantee your car will run cooler, produce less boost, and turn out better midrange numbers, I would be wary of turning on the fans too ealry, what about an electric water pump? they free up power and I believe pump put more water..also there is the vortech ice chiller, it not only provides more IC fluid, it also moves the battery to the rear helping weight transfer and traction...just my $.02 though

03'Darin

Established Member
I don't have any solution for you guys, but I have some information that you WON'T believe.

I do some open tracking with my 03' and have been watching the heat concerns of everyone. So far I have only experinced boost dump for just a couple of seconds from the heat. I was following some traffic and running rather close when it happened. The events I have run so far were cooler days and no doubt why I have only hit limp mode once. I know there's more to come.

I was talking to a friend the other week after he attended the Grand Am race at Watking Glen. All of the Mustang's running the blower motors (some are running 5.0's) are having over heating issues. These cars run the stock pulley so over spinning the blower is not a contributing factor to the heat issue. They also have big radiators and different or no thermostats.

The only team that is making any head way with the overheating issue is.....are you ready for this........NOT RUNNING ANY HEAT EXCHANGER!! That's right.........NO heat exchanger!! This team has been working with Evans to solve the over heating problem and has done countless cooling system changes. They are running a water pump that pumps twice the volume of the stock pump, re-routed hose, no thermostat or housing and some other things I can't remember.

They have eliminated the heat exchanger completely and only circulate the coolant through the pump and back to the inter cooler.

This really makes me believe the money I,and many other people have spent on larger heat exchangers makes NO difference unless your at the drag strip. Hmmmmmmmmmmm?

Darin

svtxchinoy

Established Member
Well, if that's true, I hope somebody does some more testing on it and produces a kit for us. Running cooler and losing some pounds by removing the H/E sounds good to me.

BLK03SVT10TH

Mods? What Mods??
Established Member
I just drove from San Diego, CA to Flagstaf, AZ a couple weeks ago and experienced air temps between 100 and 110 when traveling through the desert. My cooling system is completely stock. When running in 6th Gear in Cruise Control at 80 MPH with the A/C OFF my Water Temp would run about 195 Degrees, with the A/C ON the Water Temp would shoot up to almost 250 Degrees over a short time. Don't the A/C Compressors on our cars seem to generate more drag to you guys than most other cars. I know when I turn mine on I get a noticible lurch that I haven't ever noticed in other vehicles.

03'Darin

Established Member
Originally posted by BLK03SVT10TH
I just drove from San Diego, CA to Flagstaf, AZ a couple weeks ago and experienced air temps between 100 and 110 when traveling through the desert. My cooling system is completely stock. When running in 6th Gear in Cruise Control at 80 MPH with the A/C OFF my Water Temp would run about 195 Degrees, with the A/C ON the Water Temp would shoot up to almost 250 Degrees over a short time. Don't the A/C Compressors on our cars seem to generate more drag to you guys than most other cars. I know when I turn mine on I get a noticible lurch that I haven't ever noticed in other vehicles.

250 degree water temp is at the limp mode. There is no reason under normal driving conditions, on open road with the a/c on, you should ever see 250 degree water temps. You're at the danger zone with those temps and better get your car checked out.

Darin

03'Darin

Established Member
The Grand Am guys can only run 5.5lb of boost.

I think it's a coolant flow problem...I'll let you guy know after the pump is installed...

:beer: [/B][/QUOTE]

Grand Am is actually back to allowing the stock pulley. They had allowed around 13 lbs the end of last year and quickly dropped that before the first Daytona race to around 5.5. The cars were not even close to being competitive so they are now allowing the stock pulley.

Darin

13 Cobra Toy

Need More Track...
Established Member
[/B][/QUOTE]

Grand Am is actually back to allowing the stock pulley. They had allowed around 13 lbs the end of last year and quickly dropped that before the first Daytona race to around 5.5. The cars were not even close to being competitive so they are now allowing the stock pulley.

Darin [/B][/QUOTE]

:??: Maybe their news letter is wrong...

http://www.shreinerracing.com/racereports/2004SeasonUpdate_1.pdf

:beer:

Last edited:

03'Darin

Established Member
Originally posted by 03 Cobra Toy

Darin [/B][/QUOTE]

:??: Maybe their news letter is wrong...

http://www.shreinerracing.com/racereports/2004SeasonUpdate_1.pdf

:beer: [/B][/QUOTE]

It is. Grand Am has allowed the stock pulley for.....I think.....the last two races. I don't think the change has been posted in the rules, but they are allowing the stock pulley. GA is'nt even allowing the blower motor in the series after this year.:eek:

I'm not sure I understand the flow problem. From previous experience with push rod 5.0 motors to much flow can also create over heating problems by not allowing the coolant enought time in the radiator to cool down. I'm sure with Evan's experience they are doing all the necessary testing to determine what the problem is. It's just a shame the GA teams will spend this season figuring out the cooling problem only to change motors for next season.

Darin

FINICKY

Established Member
Originally posted by 03SVTCOBRA10TH
what high flow thermostat do you recommend??? part number???

Yeah what he said.. Ive been looking for good replacment thermostat but all the ones I see look more restrictive than the stock one. I would like to go down to a 170 also

Users who are viewing this thread