Heat soak + CEL robbing 4mph?! Help!

quadcam

i r teh ubar n00b
Established Member
Well I made it out to KCIR today, and only got in one run. I had what was for me a very good 60' (1.92 on bald tires), but my ET was way off, it was only 13.73 at 100.5. Normally I'm running 13.3-4 at 104-105.

Would the crazy heat we had in the first half of the day be accountable for that loss accompanied by the CEL, or do you guys think I may have something to worry about?

On the way home after a spirited run my buddies who were following me told me when I drove off normal from a stop light that I had a fairly large cloud of black smoke come from my exhausts and they could smell burnt oil. Is THAT something to worry about, or is that normal for a 117k car with no cats?

ALSO, my car backfires, then a split second later will shoot little flames out of it's exhausts when I shift. Personally, I think this is cool as all hell, but I'm worried it could be the result of something wrong with the car. Now it's always done this, and I've had this car four years now. I've heard stories of other catless 4v's doing this, but it's worrying me.

Please guys, tell me my car seems fine and I'm just paranoid!

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Heat will slow it down.
CEL will depend on what it is on for.
A little smoke/smell on/after a hard run is pretty normal.
Backfire is also normal with O/R pipe and a little rich.

I guess I should have said your paranoid.

msm808

97' Slobra
Established Member
It's a fuel injected car the MPH will always be all over the place depending on weather. Some weekends I trap 103 others i trap 108. Keep that hood up and put some ice on that manifold.:pepper:

Shangsta

Phat back
Established Member
same thing happened to me the last time i went to the track. I just found out my coil wires need replacing and my waterpump was going out making the car run hotter than usual

Users who are viewing this thread