Heat Exchanger/intercooler???

04TRCobra

KING
Established Member
Can someone please explain the difference between the intercooler and the heat exchanger/ or are they the same???

i thought that the intercooler was mounted directly below the supercharger??? and the heat exchanger was mounted right behind the chin spoiler in the front bumper.

If im planning on a 2.93 pulley...which is required to be upgraded.

Will i see a bigger gain in getting a better HE or an IC?

coleman

Established Member
You have it correct.

I don't know of a better IC.
Now, H/E, yes, there are a few out there -- bigger & w/ or w/o fans.

As for gains, that's a misnomer. A bigger H/E only provides more cooling capacity. It just robs less power over time.
IOW, you would see less drop HP off over time by keeping the intake temps lower.

There are a few threads around that are trying to capture the different intake temps of a standard H/E vs these aftermarket ones.

There is also a larger intercooler reservoir that should also help as well -- increased volume.

BTW, I am running the GordsFord unit with fans...
http://www.gordsfordperformance.com/

Here's an install procedure:
http://www.socalterminators.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=93

04TRCobra

KING
Established Member
cool...thanks bro

reason im asking is because my neighbor has a 2003 Z06 with an Eaton supercharger on it...a little different setup then ours tho...

but we were talking and he wants to know if we could throw on bigger intercoolers for more power.

I was looking at the fluidyne heat exchanger tho....thoughts on that??

And they make a larger resovior for the intercooler coolant??? where can i look or buy. proven hp gains??

04TRCobra

KING
Established Member
that looks killer....the polished with the fuel cell cap!!!

however,,,looks like a tite fit...dont think it will fit with the heat shield being on my steeda CAI....in the pic it looked like it was right up against the cone without a shield.

thoughts???

thats nice tho...15rwhp gain approx.!! and torque gains.

badboy

Done with it!
Established Member
The intercooler (or aftercooler) is a liquid to air heat exchanger mounted between the S/C and the engine. It cools the air after it is compressed (compression raises the temp). Coolant is circulated through the intercooler and the heat exchanger which looks like a radiator in the front of the car. If you increase the size of the heat exchanger, the fluid temperature will be lower, thereby cooling the incoming air more.

I use the GordsFord HE because it is the largest of the aftermarket units. Everything else being equal, a larger surge tank will increase the coolant volume but will not change the temperatures once steady state has been reached. The temperature difference between ambient air and the air leaving the intercooler depends only on the heat transfer capability of the two heat exchangers. If you use a large surge tank to add ice to the system, of course this will help a lot. Until the ice melts.

Users who are viewing this thread