Heat exchanger install cost?

AtlantaGT500

Established Member
I am going to be buying a AFCO heat exchanger with the fans and was wondering what I could expect for install cost from a reputable shop.

Thanks

mavisky

Established Member
There's a video online from VMP showing how to install one of theirs. I'd watch the video and knock it out yourself and put the saved money towards your next set of mods.

hyvltge

PSI
Established Member
LOL That's awesome.

As everyone stated, it is intimidating when you read the instructions, but watch the video and it is completely manageable. I did it in my garage on ramps and it was easily done.

I agree with the above. You can do this job yourself. I can barely operate a coffee maker or light switch but did this with help from the VMP video and Tob's how-to thread. http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?798654-Heat-Exchanger-Musings-(and-what-not)
I even posted my screw-ups on the thread which you can hopefully avoid.

Imatk

Established Member
Yeah the only two things that are kind of a PITA is:

1. Buy one of those special hose clamp tools if you don't already have one... without it they are a pain to get off and on... it's worth the 7 bucks.

2. Getting the air out of the system. The only way I could do it was to remove the lower hose... once I did that it was cake.

AtlantaGT500

Established Member
I appreciate the confidence you guys are throwing my way but I know I would have trouble. Changing my oil is as far as I am capable working on a car. I don't have many tools and I live in a Condo with no garage.

If somebody who lives in Atlanta would work with me I would gladly throw a 1-2 hundred bucks there way and I would help.

Other than that I guess the 3-400 at a shop is what I should expect?

Thanks

mavisky

Established Member
I'd gladly help out, but I'm up on the NE side of Atlanta on the Duluth/Suwanee line. Not sure where you're at. I've not done a lot of mods to the GT500 yet because I've only had it a few months, but I built my 95 Gt myself with about every bolt on you could find for it along with rebuilding the trans. The Talon before that car I'd done all the work on as well including engine builds and more.

VegasMichael

Established Member
I appreciate the confidence you guys are throwing my way but I know I would have trouble. Changing my oil is as far as I am capable working on a car. I don't have many tools and I live in a Condo with no garage.

If somebody who lives in Atlanta would work with me I would gladly throw a 1-2 hundred bucks there way and I would help.

Other than that I guess the 3-400 at a shop is what I should expect?

Thanks

So you might have a bit of trouble. So what. A lot of us did. You need to do this, dude. Advanced tools are not required. Take your time and spread it out over a few days. Post your questions when you get stuck. The great thing about this site is that we all want you to succeed because we all love these cars and want them to run well. You've heard this a billion times but I'll say it again in a different yet familiar way: If VegasMichael aka dumbass can do it, you can do it faster and better. Do it, bro. Do it!

54First

Grouchy Old Guy
Established Member
I sympathize with AtlantaGT500. Very few tools and no garage. So where does he keep the tools? Again, no garage. So somebody steals his tools or damages the disassembled car. And maybe worst, the all powerfull condo association. Bet they don't want disassembled cars or people working on them. He needs to learn to work on the car, but not in those circumstances.

Steve

AtlantaGT500

Established Member
I sympathize with AtlantaGT500. Very few tools and no garage. So where does he keep the tools? Again, no garage. So somebody steals his tools or damages the disassembled car. And maybe worst, the all powerfull condo association. Bet they don't want disassembled cars or people working on them. He needs to learn to work on the car, but not in those circumstances.

Steve
Yeah it kinda sucks with no garage. The condo assn is not to bad as I am friends with the pres and VP. I just don't have a few days to take my time and do it right since I am pretty much a idiot with a wrench in my hand.
Which is why I've graciously offered my garage and tools so PM me if you are interested AtlantaGT500.

Thanks man I sent a PM. Talk soon

spitin venom

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Established Member
I would help you install it but you are on the other side of the country. It really isn't that hard. Just take your time and follow directions. PM Mavisky about his generous offer. Helping each other is what these forums are about. If you get stuck along the way just post what you need help with and I am sure fellow members will respond. Even the vendors here do not mind when you call them for help.

AtlantaGT500

Established Member
I would help you install it but you are on the other side of the country. It really isn't that hard. Just take your time and follow directions. PM Mavisky about his generous offer. Helping each other is what these forums are about. If you get stuck along the way just post what you need help with and I am sure fellow members will respond. Even the vendors here do not mind when you call them for help.

:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread