Heat exch problem... PLEASE HELP

Renerider

Established Member
i have a 2010 gt500 and added some bolts ons and an aftermarket AFCO heat exchanger. my problem is that i cant seem to get the pump to stay flowing. i have drained it and filled it many of times and after a night of sitting it goes back to not flowing. i did a search on here and heard of some guys using a pump to fill it so last night i filled it with a pump on the inlet side of the resivour and filled until it came out of the line (out of the engine that feeds the resivour) and pumped a few more time. again it worked through three different drives (heat cycles) yesterday so i took it for a ride today and ITS BACK... NO FLOW. now i added a bypass switch for turning the cooling system (of the HE) on and off for at the track and when i went out today with it ice cold from sitting over night i turned that switch on and it was flowing but didnt seem strong. so i took it for a ride and when i stopped for a look i noticed it was not flowing. i have took the pump apart and it looks pretty darn simple and i dont think that is my problem because if i jump start the system it will flow like crazy but it seems to not be getting fed enough water after it sits over night to start flowing. I AM LOST AND ABOUT TO SET FIRE TO MY CAR:burn:

hopefully someone can give me some pointers since i am clueless at this point.

if i was to go out and take the feed line off (at the pump) and then reconnect it im am sure the system would flow like crazy. now i dont know if this makes sense but sometimes when i would take the feed line off (at the pump) nothing would come out... i would have to crack open my cap (on my resivour) to get any flow. again ANY HELP WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED.

thanks for taking a look

Rob_03Mach

Established Member
You may want to check this....Ensure your hose coming from your H/E to your reservoir is as straight as possible. Because you put a larger H/E in the OEM hose coming from the H/E to your reservoir is to long and may cause a "kink" in the hose. To fix this you may have to shorten your hose. Bottom line, make sure your hose from your reservior to your H/E is as straight as possible for the best flow.

Not the best picture, but you can see my hose that I had to shorten in this pic. Also, I would datalog to watch your AIT's....don't want them to get to hot...Hope this helps....

HeatExchanger009.gif

zporta

KB INSIDE
Established Member
You might have an air pocket in the system somewhere. I would let it run for a while with te cap off. Even try a plunger to prime the pump and push fluid through.

Nathan'sTsi

Established Member
I need to look at this as well. I have noticed my some pretty severe power drops after very short stints of spirited driving, as well as smeeling and seeing the IC resevoir tank boiling over, and I have a dual fan AFCO.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
^Do you still have the stock i/c resevoir? I recommend a larger one for everyone that I talk to pretty much.

Renerider

Established Member
thanks for the responses but im 99% sure there are no kinks in the line and i would like a larger resivour but im not thinking thats what is causing my problem so for now im only worried about getting this to operate on its own but im stuck with trying to figure it out. i guess i will go out and prime the system again and ill try letting it run with the cap off and see if that helps at all. any other ideas are welcome because its hard to believe that there arent more people having this issue. again basic mods such as smaller pulley, exhaust, headers, air cleaner, bigger HE and a tune. which i dont think anything listed would affect this part of the heatexchanger

Nathan'sTsi

Established Member
^Do you still have the stock i/c resevoir? I recommend a larger one for everyone that I talk to pretty much.

I still have the stock resevoir, but this seems to be a recent issue. I have been meaning to order the larger tank. I guess I should do that since I will be messing with the system anyways.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Renerider are you sure you've topped the i/c system all the way off and it's completely full? I'm stumped on yours. Is the pump trying to run the entire time even when it's not flowing?

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
I still have the stock resevoir, but this seems to be a recent issue. I have been meaning to order the larger tank. I guess I should do that since I will be messing with the system anyways.

Is it warmer now than what it was a while back? With that stock tank if you're hard on the car it's not unheard of for what's happening to your system at all. The 03/04 Terminators do the same thing. More fluid will help with this a lot.

Then if you're hard on the car give it a little cruise time for the heat exchanger to do its job and get some of that heat out.:beer: Then crack on it again.

Nathan'sTsi

Established Member
Is it warmer now than what it was a while back? With that stock tank if you're hard on the car it's not unheard of for what's happening to your system at all. The 03/04 Terminators do the same thing. More fluid will help with this a lot.

Then if you're hard on the car give it a little cruise time for the heat exchanger to do its job and get some of that heat out.:beer: Then crack on it again.

The car has been at it's current mod state for over a year. I did just put some R888s on it, so I actually get to beat on it a little instead of just having it spin like crazy. I guess it could have still been spinning before so I didn't notice, bit the power drop is really pronounced. I will order a tank and get it thrown on there, and drain and refill the sytem. I probably need to check that fuse on the afco, and make sure the pump is working. There are only a couple of variables here, but it sure is frustrating!

Rob_03Mach

Established Member
thanks for the responses but im 99% sure there are no kinks in the line and i would like a larger resivour but im not thinking thats what is causing my problem so for now im only worried about getting this to operate on its own but im stuck with trying to figure it out. i guess i will go out and prime the system again and ill try letting it run with the cap off and see if that helps at all. any other ideas are welcome because its hard to believe that there arent more people having this issue. again basic mods such as smaller pulley, exhaust, headers, air cleaner, bigger HE and a tune. which i dont think anything listed would affect this part of the heatexchanger

Not to beat a dead horse, but I should have used a different word than "kink." Look at post #30 in the link I provided below. The AFCO H/E is much talling than the OEM H/E, therefore, when using the OEM hose your intercooler pump is higher than the OEM H/E, hence your OEM hose is to long. Look at the picture on post #30. If you still have the OEM hose on your aftermarket H/E there is a good chance that this maybe your issue... Everything was working well before? Was the only addition to your cooling system the H/E? The slightest down slope in the hose could cause this....good luck...:rockon:

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/shelby-gt500-150/650858-afco-h-e-single-spal-fan-2.html

Willie2

Established Member
Premium Member
i'm thinking something electrical is giving you problems.

the power cable for the pump is a larger gauge than the others and when you crimp them all together make sure the large wire has a good connection.

zporta

KB INSIDE
Established Member
Make sure you didn't melt your fuse, a few afcos have been doing that with only 1 relay

Renerider

Established Member
its definately not electrical. i have disconnected the fans to make sure the pump is running. you can hear it and feel it turn on and off (with my bypass switch) and i have run it without any fluid going to it and it puts out very little air when holding it to your face. as for the hose i "believe" it came with the kit but cant remember for sure. now it does have a lil upgrade to the pump from the route it is run but i dont see any other way of running the hose other then the stock locations. unless i do some cutting but was hoping not to have to do that.

i just got done with what im about to post so... hope this makes sense...

taking the hose that connects the engine to the resivour off and... out of the engine i ran a long hose to my drain. on the intake of the resivour i ran a garden hose. turned the hose on and let it flow water throught the system for prob 1/2 hr while cycling the pump on and off during. took this setup off and reconnected the factory hose. NOW I turned my bypass switch on and NO FLOW... so i pinched the hose feeding the resivour and (with my mouth) blew into the resivour where the cap would be and that got it flowing. why should i have to blow into it to get it flowing??? anyway i just took it for a ride and checked it during some stops and all was good. got home and shut the car off and flipped my bypass switch and everything was good. so now its a waiting game again to see if it fails again tomorrow. or tonight? anyway im almost leading to buying a new pump? even though i see nothing that would make me want to buy one when i tear mine apart... it just dont seem like there is something internally that may cause this but I AM TOTALLY LOST.

Last edited:

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
If you buy a pump call Steve @ Tousley and he'll be the cheapest. 1-800-328-9552

08svt

i have a 2010 gt500 and added some bolts ons and an aftermarket AFCO heat exchanger. my problem is that i cant seem to get the pump to stay flowing. i have drained it and filled it many of times and after a night of sitting it goes back to not flowing. i did a search on here and heard of some guys using a pump to fill it so last night i filled it with a pump on the inlet side of the resivour and filled until it came out of the line (out of the engine that feeds the resivour) and pumped a few more time. again it worked through three different drives (heat cycles) yesterday so i took it for a ride today and ITS BACK... NO FLOW. now i added a bypass switch for turning the cooling system (of the HE) on and off for at the track and when i went out today with it ice cold from sitting over night i turned that switch on and it was flowing but didnt seem strong. so i took it for a ride and when i stopped for a look i noticed it was not flowing. i have took the pump apart and it looks pretty darn simple and i dont think that is my problem because if i jump start the system it will flow like crazy but it seems to not be getting fed enough water after it sits over night to start flowing. I AM LOST AND ABOUT TO SET FIRE TO MY CAR:burn:

hopefully someone can give me some pointers since i am clueless at this point.

if i was to go out and take the feed line off (at the pump) and then reconnect it im am sure the system would flow like crazy. now i dont know if this makes sense but sometimes when i would take the feed line off (at the pump) nothing would come out... i would have to crack open my cap (on my resivour) to get any flow. again ANY HELP WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED.

thanks for taking a look
I had the exact same problem when I did my afco h/e. I basically filled the system with the hose off the resivour. I ran the pump and kept adding coolant to the inlet side. Also try lifting the inlet hose to the pump as high as you can and let gravity help. Once I got good flow. Attached the inlet hose to the resivour and then fill it, you should be good

Renerider

Established Member
ok so after doing what i listed above i took it out tonight. drove 10min to gas station and everything was flowing. 15 more min to a coffee place and still good. after sitting and chatting for a coupole hrs i went to fire it back up and no flow. drove it 5 min away and checked it again and still nothing. chatted for hr and fired her up to drive home (20min) and when i got home everything was working...

this may sound dumb but should fluid flow whenever the pump is turned on or does there have to be some sort of pressure to flow fluid with the pump running??? i ordered a new pump and it should be here friday but i still dont believe its the pump from looking at the internals... hopefully that is the problem but...

spitin venom

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Established Member
It sounds like what my pump did on my '04 before it went out. I would see my iat2 temp start climbing really high and I would get out of the car and hit the ic pump and it would flow again and drop the temp. It seems like the pumps on the '03-'04 cobras would die around 40k miles. Put the new pump in and make sure there are no air pockets.

Users who are viewing this thread