Heartbroken birthday

Night-Mare

Established Member
For my birthday my gtcs decided that the clutch or trans was going to go out on me. Very sad day for me, only 16k on the odometer an I think it's clutch related but we will see what the dealership comes back when they finally get the chance to look at it. Symptoms are that the starts to engage and just before it should engage, it grips hard and jerks the car forward with a simultaneous clink clack clunck from the gearbox. Don't know wtf happened, went to do a second gear start from a stop sign to turn and next thing you know, something is acting up. Didn't do a hard launch and I outright baby the car, so this all came along and shocked the hell out of me. I'm in Germany and the dealer only had one tech that works on US spec cars so hopefully he will get back to me soon, but they said he is pretty booked up and will have to fit it in. Being without the car sucks entirely too much scrotum. I've driven manuals for about 20 years and this is the first time even I have had any issues. Never even had to change a clutch. Wish me luck! And yes, worst birthday of my life (honestly couldn't sleep and had nightmares). :tears:

Chris_Red_V8

Shiny.
Established Member
Sorry to hear it, though as someone who just went almost 9 months with their mustang rotting in the sun without a powertrain or various other issues while making payment after payment, it does indeed get better and you'll get through it.

As far as the issue, I wonder if the clutch delaminated, I had two do that to me with similar symptoms (the bonding glue hardens then shears the clutch organic material from the metal backing plate). Hopefully that's all it is and a relatively quick repair.

Good luck!

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member
For my Birthday last year(2011) my car(which I had owned for like a week) decided to spin bearings. I feel your pain.

Night-Mare

Established Member
I hope so brother. Sorry for your news as well, but happy for you that your back in the saddle. Hopefully it's something easy and quick, and ford ponies up on the warranty. Even if it's the clutch, it shouldn't need to be changed at 16k unabused miles, has to be something faulty going on. Praying it's not the trans. Will be at least a month without the car, because they will have to order parts from the states and they say shipping alone is 2-3 weeks. After the diagnosis and estimated repair time, I'll be asking for a loaner

Nuar

Established Member
Jeeeez, that effin blows man!
I have a JHR Stainless clutch line waiting to be installed and im contemplating a shifter too, after reading your story, im having serious second thoughts. I bet if i had the line installed and needed warranty work, stealership would deny my warranty :(

TheVikingRL

Established Member
Premium Member
Wow, only one tech that looks at "American Spec cars"? What's the big difference between American and European spec Fords? Read the service manual and follow the instructions.

Does sound like it's clutch, pp, or throw-out bearing related. Perhaps contact Ford Corporate and see if they can help escalate.

Last edited:

vortecd

Established Member
Sorry to hear this happen on your Birthday. I was driving my car around on my Bday about 25 years ago and my tranny went. Had to have the car towed to the shop. My Bday is tomorrow, maybe I should stay home

VETTEHUNTER

No cure for this disease.
Established Member
I worry more and more everyday about my trans...5K miles and it makes me wonder if I should even mod the car in fear of denied warranty issue.
OP sorry this happened to you.

rsnyder

SVT
Established Member
So your b-day was yesterday? So was mine! Happy b-day! Sucks about your car, but things could always be worse. Yesterday on my b-day, my wife (been with for 17years) told me she wanted a divorce.

turbosha

stirring the pot since'74
Established Member
So your b-day was yesterday? So was mine! Happy b-day! Sucks about your car, but things could always be worse. Yesterday on my b-day, my wife (been with for 17years) told me she wanted a divorce.
not good. my 17th anniversary is in july.....
i told her she wasnt allowed to leave. worked so far.

turbosha

stirring the pot since'74
Established Member
to bad about the car, i know people who beat the hell out there car and no problems. then i here stories of people actually takin care of them and they tear up..

Night-Mare

Established Member
Rsnyder, oh man that is horrible new man. Sorry to hear that. Seems the 7th is a bad day for 2013 for numerous folks. :(

92, yes I have access to power tools and a lift on base. Ive never personally dropped a transmission though so I wouldn't be very comfortable doing this myself, especially with the car under warranty.

Viking, yes only one tech that deals with US spec vehicles. Same mechanical theories between all vehicles, but the vehicles are different in design and models over here. Probably some training that has to be done at ford in order for them to be authorized to do warranty work

Users who are viewing this thread