Heard of car dealers trying to pull this?

Jack Burton

Established Member
Well, I went to go trade in my z06 which I bought from this same dealer about 6 months ago. So, they inspect the windows which need new motors. I already knew that, so they deduct that off the initial trade in value they offered me. No big deal for me, I anticipated that. But...then they want to deduct about $1,600 dollars because they said it needs new tires. I told them that the tread is all within spec, that seemed to fluster them a bit. They then proceed to tell me that it is because the tires are too old (factory tires that came with it in 2003). I researched on the DOT website and Highway Safety website, both of which indicate that tires are good for 10 years if they have been in use. Has anybody had a dealer try pulling this one on you. I've seen some sleazy practices, but this one actually made me laugh.

oldmodman

Established Member
I can't understand why anyone would trade in a relatively nice condition, newer car to a dealer. In almost every case you are giving away 30 to 40% of your value to the dealer.
And yes, I have heard of similar things being pulled on buyers. They are not called "stealerships" for nothing.

Monster Mach

Established Member
been there done that... the dealers owner is the one that makes those decisions.. not the salesman himself..

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
theyre just haggling you down. Obviously they know someone dumb enough to use such a vehicle like that as a trade instead of selling private party, is likely dumb enough to succumb to their tactics. Prove them wrong, sell it yourself, and get what its worth.

GM Nitemare

Established Member
When I sold cars(20 years ago) The dealer would deduct anything they could to lower your trade in value. And then not do any repairs on the car anyway.
Their best cash cow are to do with the brakes,tires, and oil leaks. It's a friggin joke what they try to pull. Tell them to pound salt. Sell it yourself. Then go in and make a deal. Make sure you have the vehicle inspected before buying it.

Jack Burton

Established Member
theyre just haggling you down. Obviously they know someone dumb enough to use such a vehicle like that as a trade instead of selling private party, is likely dumb enough to succumb to their tactics. Prove them wrong, sell it yourself, and get what its worth.

Didn't have any luck with trying to private sale. All the offers I received on the car were actually lower than what the dealer was going to offer me. So, it wasn't worth for me to take a lower offer from a private seller and lose the sales tax benefit which I get if I trade in. Before they pulled the BS with the tires, they were actually going to be pretty much giving me what I paid for the car when I bought it from them.

Trust me, I didn' succumb to their tactics. Hence why I laughed at them and I walked out. I'm an auditor by trade, so they usually get frustrated when I start ripping the numbers apart and start amortizing figures in front of them.

I figured selling a low mileage z06 would be easy...but hell, the market on them has cooled down even more than the terminator market (I sold my terminator private sale a while back).

Jack Burton

Established Member
When I sold cars(20 years ago) The dealer would deduct anything they could to lower your trade in value. And then not do any repairs on the car anyway.
Their best cash cow are to do with the brakes,tires, and oil leaks. It's a friggin joke what they try to pull. Tell them to pound salt. Sell it yourself. Then go in and make a deal. Make sure you have the vehicle inspected before buying it.

You should've seen them when I told them that I took the truck that I was looking at to a Chevy dealer for inspection. When I told them the problems that were uncovered they got all pissed off about it. They then took the truck into their service bay since they didn't believe the word of a "competitor." They were even more pissed off when they found out the problems to be true.

Not a big deal to me, just figured I would share the story with you guys as I figured you would get a kick out of it. I'm mainly selling the z06 since I am at the point in my life that I NEED a truck more than I want one. That, and I want to buy my dad's boat. So, I'm not in a huge rush to get a truck as I'm not exactly under a time crunch.

vettez062002

baller on a budget
Established Member
Well, I went to go trade in my z06 which I bought from this same dealer about 6 months ago. So, they inspect the windows which need new motors. I already knew that, so they deduct that off the initial trade in value they offered me. No big deal for me, I anticipated that. But...then they want to deduct about $1,600 dollars because they said it needs new tires. I told them that the tread is all within spec, that seemed to fluster them a bit. They then proceed to tell me that it is because the tires are too old (factory tires that came with it in 2003). I researched on the DOT website and Highway Safety website, both of which indicate that tires are good for 10 years if they have been in use. Has anybody had a dealer try pulling this one on you. I've seen some sleazy practices, but this one actually made me laugh.

its more or less because the dealer will put new tires on the car. if they are anywhere close to getting to the wear bar. you gotta put your foot in a buyers shoes. would you spend XYZ on a clean Z06 that needs tires?? sure for the right price but they will want retail for the car hense why the car has to stand tall and deserve the price they are asking.

Jack Burton

Established Member
its more or less because the dealer will put new tires on the car. if they are anywhere close to getting to the wear bar. you gotta put your foot in a buyers shoes. would you spend XYZ on a clean Z06 that needs tires?? sure for the right price but they will want retail for the car hense why the car has to stand tall and deserve the price they are asking.

Tires still have plenty of meat on them...which is kind of ironic since the truck they let me take out needs new tires on the front at a minimum (below the wear bars).

I'm guessing you sell cars?

Jack Burton

Established Member
I do but not all of us are crooks. just making a point

I agree, not all are bad. I could just tell the way this whole deal was going down and the demeanor of the people involved of how shady is was. Part of the reason I was laughing as they told me they couldn't put it on the lot unless it had great tires...yet the truck they let me take out had bald ass front tires. I also laugh cause when I bought the z06 from them it needed a new cluster (cluster was dead).

I agree in being fair, it just obvious in what they were trying to pull. That, and they initially wanted me to pay to have the tires/parts fixed on the truck if that's what I wanted. That made me laugh as well...I pointed out that they were going to give me less for my trade to fix the problems on it...so they must ahve done the same for that truck to fix the problems...they didn't have an answer for it.

So, for now I'm still hunting. I keep checking autotrader and such daily so I'll know when something else pops up.

bad2000z

Established Member
So let me get this straight..you tried to sell it on your own and had no luck (not surprised), then you went to a dealer who offered you more for it than private buyers and you're pissed because they want to put new tires on it before they put it on their lot? Call me crazy but I don't see a third option lol. I can assure you not everyone is "out to get you" haha.

I don't know where you're from, but the prospect of taking a Corvette in on trade right before winter is not in the best interest of the dealer. They could very well be stuck with it till spring, and the car could very well depreciate a bit between now and then which will make it harder for them to sell the car and make a profit. That is of course unless you want to wait till spring and try to sell it yourself again.

I sold my 2005 Corvette earlier this year, I originally listed the car at 26k...I ended up taking 23k after months with almost no interest.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
been there done that... the dealers owner is the one that makes those decisions.. not the salesman himself..

You really think the owner of a Chevy Dealership waits around to make pricing decisions on a trade?

The used car manager will price out the trade.

stangposse

Established Member

You said it all right there. Especially a Z06!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread