Health insurance

king nothing

Established Member
I've been at my job for 3 months and am now eligible for health insurance. The cost is reasonable for me, about $35/wk for health, dental, and vision. The problem is when I add my wife and kids the cost goes up to $195/wk, which is right under 20% of my 40hr gross. Anyone know of any alternatives to employer insurance for the family that is a little more reasonable?

oldmodman

Established Member
Does your State have an "Obamacare" supported health access site?

Here in California it's called Covered California and it's about 50% of what it would normally cost outright.

Plus California kicks in money if you can't afford it.

Depending on your yearly income it might save you quite a lot of money. But be forewarned. There might be sever restrictions on what hospitals, doctors, and medications you can get.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
I would be weary of signing up under an "obamacare network" like covered california. There are cheaper monthly plans out there, but they have seriously poor coverage. I looked up covered california plans for my wife and I. I could get plans for 280 ish a month but they had deductibles of 10k and many medical expenses didn't count toward the deductible. It wasn't until I was looking at 500+ per month that the insurance plans were actually worth having. Health insurance through my employer was 200+ cheaper a month for the same coverage.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Depending on your ages, needed coverages and location, you may or may not be better off under a 3rd party for your family. For me, it was cheaper to join one of the local coop's then it was to be listed under my wife's plan. To the tune of about $200 per month difference.

Check your local third party providers, and run the numbers. Health insurance is expensive, there's unfortunately not a lot of ways around it.

Machdup1

Established Member
I've been at my job for 3 months and am now eligible for health insurance. The cost is reasonable for me, about $35/wk for health, dental, and vision. The problem is when I add my wife and kids the cost goes up to $195/wk, which is right under 20% of my 40hr gross. Anyone know of any alternatives to employer insurance for the family that is a little more reasonable?

Those are actually fairly good rates (at least for my state). Your employer is probably paying some portion of your HC and is passing the cost for the family on completely. Your state exchange might be cheaper, if your employer's plan does not disqualify you from the state exchange:

https://getcoveredillinois.gov/

03cobra#2

Hobbyist Of Many Hobbies
Established Member
Sounds about right I pay 185 per week for myself, wife and 2 children. Coverage is OK. Not bad not great.

Users who are viewing this thread