Heads

hotcobra03

Established Member
direct from ford...tousley ford ..1000.00 each loaded.

i went with my local dealer paid 1111.11..no shipping charge

Last edited:

brian97cobra

The Infractionator
Established Member
check the internet man. i hate craigslist but ive found some really crack head deals on there lately. just make sure you check out the stuff on cl. i personally recommend going and meeting to see the product in person if used.

eaglesnick

Established Member
check the internet man. i hate craigslist but ive found some really crack head deals on there lately. just make sure you check out the stuff on cl. i personally recommend going and meeting to see the product in person if used.

Honestly, I wouldn't know what to look for on heads even if I picked them up in person, sad but true, so I am looking for new heads.

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
If you're looking for new heads, go with the suggestions mentioned above. But remember, these heads (and cams for that matter) aren't unique to the 03/04 cobra.

They also came on the 03/04 Mach 1, Mercury Marauder, and Lincoln Aviator. Although these engines have the same exact heads and cams as the cobra, thats where the similarities end. They have an aluminum WAP block, 10.3:1 compression, and lacked forged internals. Unless it came out of a 5 speed Mach 1, they have a weaker 6 bolt crank as well.

The point I'm trying to make is: see if you can find a junkyard aviator motor. Half the time, the salvage yards have no idea it's basically a Mach 1 motor that has the same exact heads as an 03 cobra. You can pick up an entire motor with accessories for the price of a new set of heads.

This is getting carried away, but you could use your forged internals and install them in the aluminum block. That will give you an "aluminator" motor.

Sell everything you don't need like the accessories and intake, all the way down to the bare longblock and that'll offset the cost of the entire motor.

If you just want the heads. Sell the shortblock while you're at it for about $1500 and you're actually making money on the deal.

You can take that money and get the heads ported and get some extra engine work done.

Just coming up with ideas. But I dont think it's a smart idea to buy a brand new set of STOCK heads when there are so many perfectly good sets laying around in cars you never would have known about, just waiting to be plucked for dirt cheap. If you're gonna buy new heads, you might as well get a set of GT500 heads or something. The 03/04 heads are close to the best 4V head available, but there are a few other examples that are a little harder to come by.

Man, I wish trick flow would make a DOHC head already!

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
anyone know where I can get heads for an 03 cobra?

FRPP discontinued them, so unless one of the eBay vendors has some in their inventory still, you have to get them from the dealer if you want a new set. Don't forget, you also have to pay a core charge as well.

The part numbers are actually sourced from the Aviator program:

2C5Z-6049-BAB (LH)
2C5Z-6049-CAB (RH)

Plenty of info on the casting numbers here if you are going with a used set:

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/terminator-talk-229/869945-confused-what-heads-i-have.html

If you're looking for new heads, go with the suggestions mentioned above. But remember, these heads (and cams for that matter) aren't unique to the 03/04 cobra.

They also came on the 03/04 Mach 1, Mercury Marauder, and Lincoln Aviator. Although these engines have the same exact heads and cams as the cobra, thats where the similarities end. They have an aluminum WAP block, 10.3:1 compression, and lacked forged internals. Unless it came out of a 5 speed Mach 1, they have a weaker 6 bolt crank as well.

The point I'm trying to make is: see if you can find a junkyard aviator motor. Half the time, the salvage yards have no idea it's basically a Mach 1 motor that has the same exact heads as an 03 cobra. You can pick up an entire motor with accessories for the price of a new set of heads.

This is getting carried away, but you could use your forged internals and install them in the aluminum block. That will give you an "aluminator" motor.

Sell everything you don't need like the accessories and intake, all the way down to the bare longblock and that'll offset the cost of the entire motor.

If you just want the heads. Sell the shortblock while you're at it for about $1500 and you're actually making money on the deal.

You can take that money and get the heads ported and get some extra engine work done.

Just coming up with ideas. But I dont think it's a smart idea to buy a brand new set of STOCK heads when there are so many perfectly good sets laying around in cars you never would have known about, just waiting to be plucked for dirt cheap. If you're gonna buy new heads, you might as well get a set of GT500 heads or something. The 03/04 heads are close to the best 4V head available, but there are a few other examples that are a little harder to come by.

Man, I wish trick flow would make a DOHC head already!

If you want to get technical, the "Aluminator" block is sourced from the '05-'10 GT (yes, the 3V block). The regular WAP block isn't as good, but it's still an option.

eaglesnick

Established Member
Thanks for the info and responses, but I found a new set at a local engine shop. Picked them up yesterday and dropped them off at the shop doing my build. This build is getting very expensive, but in the end I think it will be well worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread