Heads

Ellik

Established Member
I have some noise in my top end. Once I get the tranny & rear end swapped in, my next project is going to be a set of heads. Im not going to spend big money on FR500 stuff. What should I be looking for? I was thinking 03/04 Cobra heads. Where can I get a complete setup? Can someone give me a rundown on what are B heads, C heads, etc? Also, how complicated is the swap on a modular motor? I've only ever done it on pushrod motors.

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
I don't think going from 99/01 heads to 03/04 heads without any porting, or any other work, will be very beneficial. You may pick up some power, but I believe it will be very slight.

B heads=Lincoln Mark VIII and 96-98 cobra heads
C heads=99-04 heads (although not all the same, as you know).

The swap is pretty complex, especially in the car.

cliffs notes version:

Pull the intake manifold
Pull the valve and timing covers
Pull the primary timing chains
Unbolt the heads and remove
Reverse to install.

Timing them, and getting room to work will be the hardest part.

However, i think you would be better off just fixing the source of your noise, or spending the money to get your new set of heads ported.

Ellik

Established Member
hmmm.... yeah, the timing chains are the part that scare me. Any tips on it, or take it to a shop? Im not sure what the noise is. Its a light ticking, but only under load uphill @ 50-70mph..... at least for now. Im wondering if its a bad valve?

I was looking at the 4V Head Porting - Complete - Steel Retainers ($2800) from VTengines.com. Didnt seem bad, but the 'complete' part threw me. Didnt realize I have to supply the heads to begin with. Now Im adding another $1k plus probably labor to do the install.

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
may be anything from an exhaust leak, to a bad tensioner, to a bad lash adjuster.

cobraracer46

Banned
Ellik said:
hmmm.... yeah, the timing chains are the part that scare me. Any tips on it, or take it to a shop?
Setting up the timming chains is easy if you have the special cam positioning tools and the factory shop manual handy. By the way, I would not attempt to remove the heads with the motor still in the car unless you want to work harder. Finally, if you do decide to remove and port your stock c heads or replace them, don't use metal gasket scrapers, razor blades or sandpaper to clean the gasket surfaces, use a plastic scraper and the Ford motorcraft gasket remover and surface prep chemicals.

Users who are viewing this thread