Headlights are Done! how I did it inside

davesbedroom

Established Member
My headlights were the worst. I didn't want to spend the money for new, and I didn't want aftermarket. There are plenty of kits out on the market that are very expensive, but I found the best one. It was cheap and it was put together by the pros. Best part, is the kit comes with the best metal polish that I will use on everything, and I have plenty of it left!! Someone at the company gave me very detailed instructions. On to the pictures and instructions!!

The before.
before.jpg

What you need.
tools.jpg

After wetsanding with 1000grit
after1000grit2.jpg

Then 1500grit. Notice how the foggy protective film is gone.
after1500grit1.jpg

After the 2000grit it is now ready to be polished and buffed out with a drill. This goes better if you have a partner to hold the drill so you can take your time and buff it good.
after2000grit2.jpg

All Done.
autosol.jpg

likenew.jpg

left.jpg

Here is the Kit Buy Here $11.99!! Your are probably going to spend 10 dollars in sandpaper, it goes a long way. You can do many sets of headlights with all that. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Snaketamer

CAM-tastic
Established Member
Amazing! Simply amazing. I've been using Autosol for 20 years on stuff like my exhaust tips. They shine like mirrors. Didn't know they worked on headlights.

davesbedroom

Established Member
97CasperCobra, lets see some pictures. I found your thread from before, but there was just red Xes.

Snaketamer, the autosol is awesome, but it is all about that buff working it at high speeds. You can't get results like this with just your hands.

Snaketamer

CAM-tastic
Established Member
Originally posted by freakshow12
where can I get some of this autosol?? my lights are not that bad but I want to do them before they do get ugly.

Canadian Tire sells it here in Ontario. You should be able to get it at any auto supply store.

Originally posted by davesbedroom
Snaketamer, the autosol is awesome, but it is all about that buff working it at high speeds. You can't get results like this with just your hands.

I dunno...my right hand works at some pretty high speeds. LOL

also, will a dremel work with that buffer?, i need the info cus im ready to put an order in for that stuff, but i wanna know some instructions and such, so i can be prepared:)

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
Nice find Dave, and it looks like NEW. I just used Mother's Mag & Alum polish, and it doesn't look anywhere as good as yours. I'll have to get some of that "stuff."

Dan

GeoSnake

Mustang Week Staff
Established Member
Here's my take on this... I did essentially the very same thing almost two years ago. I wet-sanded (removing the UV coating that dulls), and then polished the lenses. Keep in mind that I daily drive my car and it isn't garaged. After about 1 year, the plastic itself began to yellow. I've seen this happen on several cars that polished the UV coating off. Last summer I began using Zaino plastic polish and it has made a big difference and prolongs the inevitable. I use the Zaino plastic polish each time I wash the car and it makes enough of a difference that I don't notice it until I'm in a show or cruise-in beside someone w/ new lenses. In the end, I will still need a new pair of lenses.

Your polishing looks great and who knows, maybe your lenses will stay looking as they do now!

davesbedroom

Established Member
GeoSnake, I put several coats of Z3 on them in hopes that they will stay that way for a long time. I will compare pics a year from now. The car does sit outside and is exposed to the sun.

Detailed Instructions :

1. Wetsand with 1000 grit paper untill smooth as possible. You should get most of the film off with this paper. clean the headlight often with water to see your progress.
2. Wetsand with 1500 grit paper untill film is completely gone.
3. Wetsand with 2000 grit untill very smooth, but very cloudy.
4. Polish with autosol by hand to get started and learn how it works.
5. Have someone hold a drill and use the buff you get with the kit from eastwood. On the drills fastest speed work the surface of the headlight slowly and gently. You will instantly see the cloudiness go away and be replaced with clear. buff untill you are happy with the clairity. The pressure you buff at doesn't give you the results, it is all about the speed and durration.
6. Apply serveral coats of Zaino car polish.

WARNING: wear eye protection and a mask!

If you have a question ask me. Make sure to take before and after pictures!

Users who are viewing this thread