headlights and tints

blksnakebite97

Established Member
need help on deciding which headlights and percent tint to get. I have a black 97 cobra, I already blacked out my tail lights with night shades, and am looking for some good quality smoked headlights. and i need oppinions on tinting windows, i want 20, but dont want a ticket because the law in ct is 35 what do u guys think go for gold or settle with the law. by the way going for the blacked out look have black bullits if that gives u a better idea.

SoddyRebel

Darkside
Established Member
i think smoked would look with the blacked out look, i bought mine off ebay last year. I have 20% tint and havent had any problems with cops, ive even been pulled over and they havent said anything about it.......they did say sumthin about my tinted lincense plate cover though, go figure.

mustangdan429

Established Member
i have smoked headlights from blue oval, they suck to put in but look good. i got 17% tint on all but the windshield. had it measured at 11% but still no tickets after more then a year. knock on wood....

chromeyellow98

Established Member
i would go w/ 35% bc it will draW less attention from the pigs! and if they stop u they can go through your car may make u change exhaust or springs and the headlights. 35 on a black car will look dark anyway....my 2 cents

ArkansasMystic

Established Member
BOI headlights are ok, but their fogs are crap. I've got the headlights, as mentioned a pain to get set right, but look good. Look into the black beauty's sold by latemodelrestoration, they are clear with black background so no light output is lost.

VEGASbabyVEGAS

I }> MY HONDA
Established Member

I actually just picked up a set of these...the headlights themselfs are actually pretty decent quality. corners. not so much. Headlights are one step down from factory as far as quality but they look great. corners look like a 3rd grader assembled them...BUT. My buddy bought the same set a couple of months back...and was not happy with the corners. So He picked up another set from the same company but with the amber inserts. He said they were much better and still matched.

untchabl

F8LSNAKE
Established Member
I've heard good things about the Late Model Resto smoked headlights. I'll be getting those and their smoked foglights after the first of the year.

I'd say go with 20% for your tint. 35% just isn't dark enough in my opinion.

Last edited:

LOVESBOOST

Established Member
I like UPR's ultra clear smoked lights, got the diamond cut to them and slightly shaded, with 18% on mine with a slight tint on the tails it looks good

ARdoller

Established Member
i have 20% on everything but the front windshield. 35% is a waste, it hardly looks like you have any tint.

i got my smoked headlights on ebay. no idea who the seller is anymore, but the quality looks fine. theyre the smoked version of the diamond clears.

i have HID's though, so im either going to sell the smoked lenses, and replace them with a modified projector, or retrofit a projector lens into my smoked housings.

ARdoller

Established Member
i buy all my headlight assemblies on eBay. ive only ever had a problem with one set, and it was just cuz i neglected to seal them with silicone. but then again, i never seal my headlights, and those were the only set that leaked out of the 4 sets ive bought. and it was only the drivers side headlight housing that leaked, not like it was the whole set.

uofipilot

Established Member
Lights - I have a black car as well, and I have the BOI smoked set with fogs. Quality issues: one fog light lens popped off the housing before I even put them on the car. I put it back on with some superglue and its still on there 2 years later. Also, I just noticed that the passenger's side corner has about 10 hairline cracks along the top of the lens. Can't figure out why that happened though.

Tint - I can't remember what tint I got. I think it was 20 on the quarters and rear window, and about 30 on the side windows. I got pulled over for it once (in IL) but the cop was obviously looking for drunks, as he didn't mention it other than "I pulled you over because you have tinted windows." I would recommend, however, making sure that the window rollers inside the door are kosher before you do the tints. Apparently they are covered with felt. One of the ones on my passengers window must have really worn out felt, because it made a tiny line in the tine where it contacts the window. It isn't a huge deal, but little things like that sorta piss me off. =)

ArkansasMystic

Established Member
^That's exactly what happened with my BOI fogs, except when I glued it back the lens fogged over, but it did stay together.

Users who are viewing this thread