Headlight switch change

Cobra03SC

Established Member
Mine has been broken for a long time (pulled the knob off) and instead of just fixing the little clip i was considering swapping to a newer mustang switch. Anyone tried this before? My cluster cover is aftermarket anyways so i don't mind drilling a bigger hole to fit the larger switch, and im guessing the wiring wouldnt be too terrible. Opinions?? I just hate the stupid knob.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Headlight-Switch-MOTORCRAFT-SW-6659-/301107949742?_trksid=p2054897.l4275

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
I can't imagine anybody has. The hardware for the Auto lights (light sensors and such) is not included on our cars and the switch for the fogs are in a complete different location.

brendan.9

Svt Turkey Farmer
Established Member
just buy a billet one thats what i did they just use a set screw to hold them in. Paint it black if you don't want the shine of it.

Jefe

Established Member
check out ilovescreamers on instagram, hes upgrading his.

akeohan

Established Member
I like the idea but i would have to see it in the car to give it a yes/no. I think if you did change it the switch would be located too high for the size if that makes since. I find it funny that mu 2002 F250 has a knob switch but my 2003 Cobra has the old school pull knob.

snakeraper11b

Established Member
check out ilovescreamers on instagram, hes upgrading his.

That guy has some cool one off mods. His cobra emblems that are back lit flashers, LED retrofit fogs from a 2013. I'm curious to see how he makes the headlight controls work. Our pull style is so...primitive and I hate it.

Last edited:

JeremyAlan

Naked SVT Poster
Established Member
Sorry for the shit image quality. I am @ilovescreamers on IG and I'm doing the same thing you're talking about.

Our gauge bezel is too small to use an S197 switch, that was my first idea too! Instead I found a VW part that is much smaller. The factory lighting is red in VW's, so I had a guy that works on circuit boards swap the surface mount LED's for a yellow-green color.

Note- the switch I'm using is Euro-spec with a second fog light position for rear fogs. I love in the UK currently and there are US spec versions of the switch.

10617331_10202552074511714_1059255379_n.jpg

04redfireRO

DRACULA'S COUNTRY
Established Member
I just finished retrofitting a Ford fusion switch. It looks a lot better and it works. I had to modify the internal electronics (not very difficult) in order for it to work. Mine is just a headlight switch w/o the fog light. I didn't want to mess with the wiring for the fogs. I will try to post some pics.

JeremyAlan

Naked SVT Poster
Established Member
I just finished retrofitting a Ford fusion switch. It looks a lot better and it works. I had to modify the internal electronics (not very difficult) in order for it to work. Mine is just a headlight switch w/o the fog light. I didn't want to mess with the wiring for the fogs. I will try to post some pics.

Please do! Very interested.

04redfireRO

DRACULA'S COUNTRY
Established Member
This is what I have right now. The pictures did not come out very good. It makes my dash look grey and spotty I need more natural light for pics. I picked an other dash bezel from the junk yard from an older mustang because I decided not to chop my original one up, lol. I also need to get the defog switch from the same mustang in the junk yard so I can use it to turn my dome light on. The dimmer, I don't care about it for right now since I never used it before anyway. I had to recess the switch because it will not sit flush on the bezel because of the curves it has. The switch is from a 2009 ford fusion that I had to modify in order to make it work. I also took the original switch bezel from the junkyard and o dremeled the ring that the switch sits on and fitted it to the mustang bezel in a recessed way, than I used some body filler so I can flush the switch with the bezel.

157gnr4.jpg

2r765c0.jpg

2w4fwyh.jpg

2mq95k4.jpg

2l8f96e.jpg

241pgxx.jpg

2zhjg20.jpg

SVT_Troy

Established Member
I like it because i like things that are different but i think it looks kind of out of place.

04redfireRO

DRACULA'S COUNTRY
Established Member
I like it because i like things that are different but i think it looks kind of out of place.

Well....it looks a lot better in person but it also looks unfinished because I have that hole under the switch. After I get that defogger switch it will look better.

starnsey

Established Member
This is what I have right now. The pictures did not come out very good. It makes my dash look grey and spotty I need more natural light for pics. I picked an other dash bezel from the junk yard from an older mustang because I decided not to chop my original one up, lol. I also need to get the defog switch from the same mustang in the junk yard so I can use it to turn my dome light on. The dimmer, I don't care about it for right now since I never used it before anyway. I had to recess the switch because it will not sit flush on the bezel because of the curves it has. The switch is from a 2009 ford fusion that I had to modify in order to make it work. I also took the original switch bezel from the junkyard and o dremeled the ring that the switch sits on and fitted it to the mustang bezel in a recessed way, than I used some body filler so I can flush the switch with the bezel.

157gnr4.jpg

2r765c0.jpg

2w4fwyh.jpg

2mq95k4.jpg

2l8f96e.jpg

241pgxx.jpg

2zhjg20.jpg

Damn, that's some impressive work right there. I wouldn't do it out of laziness but looks good.

Users who are viewing this thread