Headlight Restoration KIT...

Kevin the Clean 1

1 CLEAN 04 SNAKE
Established Member
I thought that 3M was the only company who made a good headlight restoration kit. But, this kit looks pretty good too. ;-)

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvdiiXfvkD8"]‪SYLVANIA Headlight Restoration Kit‬‏ - YouTube[/nomedia]

foofinator

Engineer/Lawyer
Established Member
For me, what worked the best was 1500 grit sand paper followed by 2000, then 2500 and a polishing pad with 3m compound.

Worked so much better than any headlight restoration kit, fwiw.

zaxjax

The Detailed Image
Established Member
Kevin

Try mixing up some baking soda and water into a paste and polish away. Crest toothpaste also works

T-Bolt

Official 'ring tow rig...
Established Member
3M kit is on sale at Harbor Freight for 20 bucks. I used a kit and love it.

brad7131

The Spocker!
Established Member
For me, what worked the best was 1500 grit sand paper followed by 2000, then 2500 and a polishing pad with 3m compound.

What compound are you using? My headlights look terrible, and I'm planning to do something about them this weekend.

LilRoush

M112'd Roush x2
Established Member
Any good kit is basically just a couple of different grades of sandpaper and some plastic polish. Basics worked great for my old nasty lights.

DSC08623.jpg

mikeysvt

Established Member
anybody know what to use with the tooth paste i overherd someone talking about this at a car show, just never got the full details

foofinator

Engineer/Lawyer
Established Member
FWIW, the compound I used was 3M compound purchased at AutoZone, works great. It comes in a black bottle, with a red car on the front.

zaxjax

The Detailed Image
Established Member
I never would have thought about using that. Does it really work>???

Yes it works and it's cheap

anybody know what to use with the tooth paste i overherd someone talking about this at a car show, just never got the full details

Regular Crest toothpaste works and so does baking soda and water mixed to make a paste

termin80r

Established Member
Headlight restoration kits are a big waste of money. Im sure you guys have some buffing compound laying around, go to the auto parts store and buy some wet sand paper, the buff them out.

BigTang

Breakin' Stuff
Established Member
i have really good luck w/ the cheap "kit" (the yellow stuff) swirl remover. its about like tooth paste in texture, does great on tail lights too.

coolcobramatt

Mystified and terminated
Established Member
Another excellent option...any decent body shop can buff the headlight out for a minimal charge. My buddy does them for $20, takes less than 15 minutes and they are crystal clear. (Plus you don't have to make a mess or get it on ya)

mustang_00

Established Member
i like that it comes with a clear coat!!!

i remember the first time i did mine with the 3m kit. they came out amazing but a few days later they started to haze. i didn't know i needed to spray with clear coat. the 2nd time i did it i learned and loved the results.

i did do my 3rd brake light by hand. i found a how to on here and they suggested 400,600,800,1000,1500,2500. i admit it sounded anal at the time but it came out brand new.

AdamR@Gotham

Established Member
I use 3" sand paper discs on a drill, 1500, 2500 3000, then compound and polish with meguiars 105 and 205 followed by a good paint sealant.

low03tb

THUNDER UP!
Established Member
O'Reily's has the Turtle Wax Resto Kit for $5.99 by me. Not sure if it's everywhere but it's got 4 lvls of sandpaper, lens clarifier (enough for multiple jobs), polishing compound (enough for multiple jobs), and a sealant.

Just used it on my girls car (b/c I won't use it on mine first lol) and it worked good. About to go do mine right now

speedsun

Established Member
Just be careful not to hold the sandpaper in one spot too long with a drill. I cut a nice dip in mine that took me hours of sanding to fix. haha

Gobabyvroommm

SN95 4LIFE!
Established Member

My buddy did it the same way after some crap he bought in Auto Zone didn't work.

Users who are viewing this thread