headlight cleaning kit???

98cobradan

Established Member
DO the ones at advance, autozone, meijer and so forth really do the job?:shrug: Or is there any kits that any of u have had experience with and it turned out great.?? Or should i just buy new headlights. dont really want to though

FX4 SAPPER

Established Member
mothers alluminum polish works excellent, then you can spray over it with some krylon clearcoat and it will stay

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
Or should i just buy new headlights

Give me a break, Dan. All it's going to take is a little elbo grease ... don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.

A guy I used to associate with had a product on the market that worked just great! No spraying anything on it, just applying two compounds, and they looked brand new - and stayed that way for over a year, when I sold it.

Unfortunately, I can't contact him any longer - he's hooked into some religious group in El Paso, and won't answer my E-Mails.

Here's a Web Address of mine that told my story of cleaning headlights:

http://www.walters-online.com/hlens2.htm

Here's another address that has testimonials from other owners on other products:
http://www.walters-online.com/hlens.htm

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
i did mine this year but still not happy with them, maybe if I change the lightbulb it will be better I hate the yellow color the stock light bulb gives off i think it makes the headlight look worse than it is

98cobradan

Established Member
i did mine this year but still not happy with them, maybe if I change the lightbulb it will be better I hate the yellow color the stock light bulb gives off i think it makes the headlight look worse than it is

as far as light bulbs go im tryin out the new phillips, crystal vision ultra:blue white light 4k

yosemiddysam

03 Cobra Vert 10th Anniv.
Established Member
Crestview Fl. Grew up in the good ole Dub V
I took my friends head lights from a nasty brownish yellow looking color to brand new in about 2 hours of drinking and shooting the bull. I started with 400 grit and ended with 8000 grit sand paper wetsanding with each until it got smooth. Once the paper didnt catch any more I would go to the next grit. It worked very well.

My94GT

Established Member
wet sanding and buffing them will clear the lenses up but you will still never get the inside of the light as clean as new. i spent alot of time buffing mine then i just tossed them for some new ones.

but yea you can just use some 1000 or 1500 wet sand paper and a high speed buffer, compound and polish. they will clean up nice

Slow95Cobra

Certified in SVT by Ford
Established Member
im just gonna buy new ones, looks like someone took a dump on mine years ago. i used the the plastic-x, it cleaned them up alot, but there is no saving them.

MikeW

Established Member
wet sanding and buffing them will clear the lenses up but you will still never get the inside of the light as clean as new. i spent alot of time buffing mine then i just tossed them for some new ones.
but yea you can just use some 1000 or 1500 wet sand paper and a high speed buffer, compound and polish. they will clean up nice

I used the autozone kit and then buffed then went the buff and sand route... Yes it helped alot but I just bought new ones from a buddy last night that ordered a set and is not going to use them. The new ones look awesome :rockon:

My94GT

Established Member
its not the inside thats dirty. the outside is the dirty yellow crap

no the inside fades too. trust me ive buffed alot of lights here at our shop but that wont bring back the faded silver plastic on the inside.

buff all you want, then lay a new head light beside it and youll see what i mean

MikeW

Established Member
Before the buff (autozone kit):

NEW_98_White_Cobra_10_07016.jpg

left side done right not

NEW_98_White_Cobra_10_07014.jpg

After one round of buffing.. I was able to get a tad more out with a wet sanding and a buff with meguires Pastic-x but they still not as clean as the new ones that will be going in this weekend.

NEW_98_White_Cobra_10_07017.jpg

My94GT

Established Member
you really need to find good compound if you want to do this. the stuff they sell at auto zone and such is a joke. the stuff i get through my body shop is like 1000 grit per say. really cuts the time in half to do something like this.

98cobradan

Established Member
Before the buff (autozone kit):

NEW_98_White_Cobra_10_07016.jpg

left side done right not

NEW_98_White_Cobra_10_07014.jpg

After one round of buffing.. I was able to get a tad more out with a wet sanding and a buff with meguires Pastic-x but they still not as clean as the new ones that will be going in this weekend.

NEW_98_White_Cobra_10_07017.jpg

yep mine are that cloudy if not worse

MikeW

Established Member
I also took a razor type scraper that autozone had and scraped out the yellow hard stuff and sanded and buffed... I was happy with them since they were much better ... but they are still not clear as new.... I will post up my news ones after i put them in.

Users who are viewing this thread