headers....

94 Cobbe

Established Member
i just perchased a 94 cobra and im debating on what headers i should go with . ive been told go with shorties they are the best bang for the buck and dont waste your money on longtubes. but then again i like the sound of longtubes on a 5.0 so i dont know what i should get. by the way do you guys think that i would get that much more hp and tq from longtubes? and what brands do you guys think that i should get. im really looking at mac and bbk.

CobraSvt9746

Another 1 Bites The Dust
Established Member
i believe it is the other way around........

i think if you are going to be doing headers then you might as well spend a little extra time and money doing it right the first time......

montanagrog

Established Member
Two different trains of thought on headers out there.

1- there are many short tubes that will run right along side a long tube header STREET car. JBAs advertise and post dyno test results that will put a lot of long tubes to shame. And are alot easier to install.

2-Long tubes can really shine on strokers and higher rpm motors. Tone is 'sweeter' (personal opinions here), and can eleminate 'drone' in some models. Some long tubes wrap around steering, and some hang down low.

There were header tests done in either 5.0 or Muscle Mustangs not too long ago that would be worth looking at. I don't like Mac, but have had great luck with BBK long tubes on our 89. Fit, finish, and sound is great, bell-housing & trany comes out without having to remove header. I don't like the BBK equal lenght shortys I have on the 91 though. Look into a full 1 5/8" primary tube, and check to see that the ports are open and free of welding slag. Watch out for the 'parts warehouse brands as these usually are lower quality. If you have snow, etc., get ceramic finish. Port match your gaskets.

fiveo'cobra

Established Member
Most places are pretty much the same; maybe a $5 difference here and there. If you really want to get them cheap the best places to check would be the classifieds forums on some sites.

And i would deff. go longtubes. They really arent worth it on 94/95 GT's, but since the cobras have better breathing heads and intake they really do make a VERY noticeably difference.

creeper

Established Member
My vote is for the long tubes, I have ceramic bbk long tubes, i've had no problems with them, easy install and no ground clearance issue either. bought mine at summit racing

95cobby

Established Member
Go with the LTs the first time. I'm still kicking myself in the ass for not getting them from the start.

raven69david

Blown & Cammed
Established Member
94Cobby / 95Cobby?

Does this seem strange to anyone else here?
coolugh.gif

raven69david

Blown & Cammed
Established Member
94 Cobby said:
but then again i like the sound of longtubes on a 5.0

Shorties will sound lounder throughout the RPM band, while Longtubes will only sound loud at the upper end of the RPM band. If you're looking for loud then go with a 1 or 2 chambered Flowmaster setup with shorties. You'll still get the drone at 1800 with shorties and the drone will almost disappear with the LT's, however will move up to 2800 or so.

FangStang96SVT

Busted Fangs
Established Member
94 Cobbe said:
i just perchased a 94 cobra and im debating on what headers i should go with . ive been told go with shorties they are the best bang for the buck and dont waste your money on longtubes. but then again i like the sound of longtubes on a 5.0 so i dont know what i should get. by the way do you guys think that i would get that much more hp and tq from longtubes? and what brands do you guys think that i should get. im really looking at mac and bbk.

How about you check out the 5.0 Magazine article I put in the thread : ''which headers should I buy'' by Stacy

They are Bassani Mid-Lenght Headers and seem the best choice for me

GroundHog

Users who are viewing this thread