Headers

71stang99

Established Member
Does anyone have or know where instructions for putting headers on a 99 cobra? Ive done it a few times with the 5.0 but I have heard alot of people saying its a pain in the rear for the cobra.
thanks

kwiksnake

Established Member
One of the magazines about a year ago printed instructions, but eventually said it was better to pay someone to put them in. From the looks of the installation I would have to agreewith them.

Yellow Horse

Established Member
I think J. Lynch over at BON had detailed instructions. He is one of the few along with me that agree that dropping the k-member is the easiest way to go. Everyone that worked around the k-member talks about what a nightmare job it was. I dropped my k-member and I thought it was an easy job. It took me 10.5 hours to do the whole job by myself working on the floor and that included 1.5 hours lengthening the front O2 sensor wires. Everything is easy to get to and you don't have to pull the starter motor. I actually lowered my engine three inches to make the reach a little better. You can see everything easier and if you do make a mistake, it's easy to make up. Imagine having to pull out a whole header because you found out you couldn't use one of the stock studs and had to use a bolt. There are about 2 studs on each side that have to be removed because the way the header pipe bends around it nearly contacts the stud and you can't get a nut over it on BBK LT's. I found out after I had almost the whole right side header bolted on. No big deal, I pulled it off in about 10 minutes and pulled the two studs and used two of the supplied bolts.

Another thing I didn't like about working around the k-member is have to jack up and tilt the engine. I just didn't feel confortable pulling an streching wires and hoses on the engine.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread