HEADERS: VHT Flame Proof or Pro ceramic coat?

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Just got a set of Dynatech headers at a crazy awesome price ( thanks Auto Anything!) They are bare, but they are stainless. Im going to have the AF sensor bungs moved from the side to the top and more rear as well.

Once thats done, i want to ceramic coat them. If seen a few demos and reviews of the VHT Flane Proof DIY ceramic coating and it looks really good. But does it work?

On the otherhand, i could have them sent out to be professionally coated but thats at least $200.

What would you do?

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I have turbo hotside SS parts coated and wrapped for the heat factor.
I've personally used the VHT and recommend it, go for it.
-J

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
I want to ceramic coat for underhood temp control purposes. I think they look really good as bare stainless, but truth be told I and others wont see them unless they are on the ground or under the car on a lift.

I was considering header wrap as well, but the GT500 is a TIGHT fight for headers from what I can tell. Im already prepared to completely remove the K member from the car to install them. What I like about the idea of ceramic coat or FLame Proof is that the dimensions of the pipes wont change and less chance of rubbing which could destroy header wrap.

I have turbo hotside SS parts coated and wrapped for the heat factor.
I've personally used the VHT and recommend it, go for it.
-J

bimini, would you say your Flame Proof parts were cooler than if you had left them uncoated?

choate

Drive with a sparkling glove on your shift hand
Established Member
Never been a fan of coating here. Always seems to burn off. Just leave them bare is my vote

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I want to ceramic coat for underhood temp control purposes. I think they look really good as bare stainless, but truth be told I and others wont see them unless they are on the ground or under the car on a lift.

I was considering header wrap as well, but the GT500 is a TIGHT fight for headers from what I can tell. Im already prepared to completely remove the K member from the car to install them. What I like about the idea of ceramic coat or FLame Proof is that the dimensions of the pipes wont change and less chance of rubbing which could destroy header wrap.

bimini, would you say your Flame Proof parts were cooler than if you had left them uncoated?
Yes but I went from bare everything to coated/wrapped pipes and a turbo blanket. HUGE difference with that total change, as in couldn't drive with hood on before all that. Different example but we've used the VHT and I feel it has to help some.
I'd still a quote from a professional but you can do the VHT.
You're in a warner climate so if I were you I'd likely do VHT unless you find a great deal on coater.
-J

Necrotizing

Established Member
I used some ceramic coat spray paint on my daily's pacesetter's. I've put well over 80k+ miles since then and the stuff is still holding up. That is including me taking them off once for an exhaust gasket and another time when the little 4.0 died that was originally in it.

The VHT stuff was spitting when I tried to spray it. Bug blobs would come out. Tried putting the spray cap in hot water, acetone, paint thinner, and then switched caps. Took it back to the store and that's how I got the stuff I used. I believe it was in advance auto where the header wrap was.

That's just my experience.

Users who are viewing this thread