HEADERS Question!~!?????

SVTnKC

Established Member
Hey thanks for bringing that to my attention....i asked MSDS and YES they are NOT street LEGAL! they will pass a under the hood inspection though and will not make your sensor light come on!

If anyone want's in on this deal...as of right now i have 9 people in! One more and we can get this thing rolling so let me know! Also if you do want in i need to you to EMAIL me with your car's YEAR, MAKE, and number of BOLTS you have on your cat. converter so that i can tell MSDS. THANKS

DemonSVT

The Mad Modder!
Established Member
Raising the car off the ground. I.E. putting it on a lift to check the exhaust.

Lots of states have these kinds of inspections.
I still would not be surprised if most of the mechanics missed the headers. However the nice shiny Y-pipe does attract some attention to that area.

I also would not be surprised if some small shops didn't even lift the SVT. The shop I went too said, "I ain't lifting that with those ground effects. I'm not paying for them."

mambaman

Established Member
you mean that there is really a risk of being caught with these in a small town?also, i'm assuming the y-pipe they come with is hi-flow, so does this really negate the necessity of buying a hi-flow y-pipe from spmotorsports?thanks

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
if you get rid of stock ypipe, or no aftermarket one, IIRC, the msds ypipe doesn't have a cat in it. As for a small town, I don't think in OH, you have emissions inspections, so I highly doubty you would get caught.

Swazo

Established Member
Why is everyone STRESSING the legal part soooo much? My ricer honda owning associates (They'll become friends again once they sell their lawnmowers from hell) Get nabbed on by Highway patrol, County Sheriff and city cops about everything on their car and get tickets fix-it tickets or worse. They NEVER EVER get messed with about their headers, and they are illegal in Utah, Nevada and California (Especially California) From what I've noticed, as long as you still run cats and don't have sound ordinance violating type exhaust.........you'll be fine. Don't fall into the typical Honda owner way of thinking of things, Loud as F#$% doesn't mean fast as F@#$. But I've found headers get overlooked for way worse violations like having NO cats and so on.

mambaman

Established Member
rtstabler.......i didn't get much of what you said the "if you get rid of stock ypipe, or no aftermarket one, IIRC, the msds ypipe doesn't have a cat in it" huh? can you explain that in a little more detail?remember, be patient with the ignorant!:)

mambaman

Established Member
rtstabler, that's just it, i don't get what you're saying. can you just answer this question for me with a yes or no:if i got the MSDS header w/ Y-pipe, would it be pointless to get a hi-flow y-pipe from spmotorsports or shoshop?thank, but i'm just confused (the fact that it's nearly 1 doesn't help)

SVTnKC

Established Member
I can answer that man...YES!~! With this header system you are already getting a aftermarket Y pipe!

Once again...i just want to say...if you are in on this you can catch it over at CEG or EMail me with you FULL NAME, car YEAR, MAKE, And CAT. Bolt #. As of right now i have 9 people! So if you want in let me know soon, cause once i get the 10th person i'll give it a few days then i'm going to cut it off and start the buying! THANKS EVERYONE. YOU can Email me with Questions too!~!

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
Yes you are getting a ypipe BUT, you will on NO cats!

DemonSVT

The Mad Modder!
Established Member
The MSDS y-pipe is the best unit made for the Duratec.

Mandrel bent & ceramic coated.
Retains the 180 degree bend for matching the pulses.
3" outlet flange.
Retains the stock support bracket.

Here's a picture of mine before install.

Header.jpg

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
why does it look like in the back header it has both o2 sensors up top??

DemonSVT

The Mad Modder!
Established Member
Originally posted by RTStabler51
why does it look like in the back header it has both o2 sensors up top??

The long threaded piece on the rear header is for the EGR tube.

Also a good trick when mounting your O2's is to shim them with a thick washer. This reduces flow blockage.
I used 1 large washer on the main O2's and 2 on the second O2's (which are "fooled" anyway). With 2 washers the O2's caught by maybe 1 turn.

Both sets are still as installed and no problem after 4 months.

DemonSVT

The Mad Modder!
Established Member
Originally posted by RTStabler51
do you have emissions testing where you are??

No. We just have visual vehicle safety inspections every 2 years.

However the Duratec engine with Zero cats has passed even smog testing in California!

It's a very efficient engine and therefore produces very little emissions. Just make sure the engine's warmed up.

Also 2 different 3L SVT's have passed smog testing. David Z's (in CA) and PA 3L is Pennsylvania.

Both were only running a high flow main cat. (David Z had the MSDS setup and PA 3L has the mystery mod IIRC)

mambaman

Established Member
where do you look in the engine to see how many bolts your particular engine uses?i took a quick glance, but didn't see anything. does anyone have any helpful or relavant info?also, does anyone have a guess as to how much it would cost to have these installed in a small town?thanks

Last edited:

OutlawdSVT

Established Member
Thanks Demon now I want those now:p . I told my wife that I'm getting my SVT Tour and not to worry cause I won't mod it and that I liked the way it is and that there is NO need to mod it cause it already has everything I want. Oooooops :-D

mmars

Meet me in the twisties!
Established Member
Originally posted by LIGHTNING LARRY
40+50 horse gains from headers. On a 6cyl. That sounds far fetched to me. :shrug:

It is...no way those things make 50HP on the svt. They aren't even equal length. The SHM long tube headers I had on my SVT only made about 15 at the most and they were real close if not equal-length.

--Matt

98CSVT601

As for Texas we got the Dyno testing for our emissions. Any car that is 95 and newer doesn't have to get on the dyno but if you're check engine light is on you automatically fail. As for testing it to see if it pass, all they do is do a ECU scan for OBII cars and some other things i forgot and that's it you pass. But for OBI they get all the fixins.

Users who are viewing this thread