Header to midpipe broken stud

adelgado25

Established Member
Hey guys, finally got some time to swap the midpipe and catback. Unfortunately I snapped off one of the header to midpipe studs with half still on the header. First time this has happened to me, any advice on how to get the half that's still on the header off? Thanks!

CobraLucci

LEO
Established Member
Yes a stud remover, or just enter punch the center, and start drilling stepping up in size until you remove it. Make sure if you go this route you keep the drill bit cool. I use a cup with pb blaster or wd 40 to dip the bit in every 15 seconds using low rpms on the tool. Ive also had luck with an impact hammer on the broken stud. But this only works if theres is a welded nut. Will not work if the bolt is threaded on the manifold itself, i forget on these cars. Best of luck and keep us posted!

Coxy

Established Member
I usually just weld a nut onto the remaining stud. Gives something to work with, and the heat from the weld usually lets you spin it out easy. Quick thread chase and away you go.

NastyNate420

Established Member
I jus fought one about a 2 months ago......had to weld a nut on there and used a torch to heat it up and sprays some Kroil on it . The other one snapped snapped off flush and I had to drill it out ... Major PITA

adelgado25

Established Member
image.jpg

Finally got the little guy out! Didn't have the angle to drill it out, buddy with welder is out of town and was ready to pull the manifold out. Then I was thinking last night, maybe if I slip the nut back on and over tighten it, it may brake the rust loose. Well hell, it worked!
Thanks for the help and support guys!

Users who are viewing this thread