Header ?'s

RTM

Established Member
Hey guys,

What are your opinions about headers?

LT's- Expensive, PITA to install, new mid-pipe, etc.
Shorty's - Cheaper, easier install, etc.

Since I just bought an MRT Catted H, I would not want to have to buy another mid-pipe.

So are shorty's worth it? Even if you don't end up making any more power, you should still make the same power with less boost right?

My reasoning is that they are somewhat lighter than the stock manifolds, better flowing, and will allow the engine to make comparable power as before with less boost that equals less strain.

Please jump in with what you think.

Thanks!

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
I know one of the latest mags showed a decent boost drop with bassani mids. If your goals are losing a little weight and dropping boost and dont mind spending the money then go for it. I have the bassani mids myself and they will be going on new stroker. I dont think I would have put them on if I wasnt doing a major engine mod where the engine had to come out, but thats just me, rewards just werent worth the time to install and expense.

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
Kenne Bell swears up and down headers are not worth it until you reach 700 hp. I'm not sure I buy that. Our local shop saw a very nice increase on a mildly modded 03 with a set of Bassani mid lengths. They tuned for them too though, so maybe that is where they helped. And of course, the sound is great! On a supercharged car, I can't imagine a set of shorties will do anything. Maybe equal length shorties, but I haven't seen those available for these cars. Personally, I have used the Bassani stuff in the past and their quality and results are second to none. They fit perfect and their header gasket is the best I have ever seen...and I never had a leak with it. ( a serious no no in a s/c car) I don't see how you could go wrong with them. They are an absolute bitch to install on these cars. You will need their midpipe to match up to them. But in my opinion, it would be the way to go if that's what you want.

Nick Filippides

I'd go Kook's but then again my opinion is biased. Seriously I believe Kook's has the very best to offer. The individual tube design makes them the easiest to install and the fact that there long tubes not mid lengths is another major plus. They're manufactured using the highest quality 16 gauge 304 stainless and we have an off-road or catted X-crossovers to match. Nick "Kook's Headers"

ModMike1572

Established Member
If i had to decide i would get the bassani mid lengths, only cause i have there off road x pipe, but im sure you cant go wrong with either one....

BlakesSnake

Roll Tide Roll
Established Member
My vote would be Kooks to, all their stuff is top nitch. SLP is also making headers now, not sure if they make them for Cobras or not but I know there headers are great on ls1's and lt1's, there stainless and coated.

Blake

SVTADVISOR

The Cobra Doctor
Established Member
Anyone who says headers do not help is foolish. If you ever compare the stock headers to the aftermarket you will see that there is no comparison. The stock runner is a joke compared to what the aftermarket can provide. One of my customers has a set of jdm headers and gained 10hp across the board and his throttle response is awesome. If your ramming air in it has to have a way out, the easier that is the better the performance. Its not rocket science.

Nick Filippides

Blake, I haven't had a chance to see SLP's LT1 headers but the LS1 stuff they have is an abomination. They looked like they were prototyped by a blind crackhead quadraplegic. Nick

BlakesSnake

Roll Tide Roll
Established Member
Well, I liked them myself. Stainless and coated means they would last forever, the only complaints I have ever heard about them is clearance issues on lowered cars and that was few and far between. But, to each their own.

Blake

Users who are viewing this thread