Header question

Kyle_KleinSS

Established Member
Hey guys I have all the parts required to do a ported eaton on e85 this spring. The only other thing im considering is headers. Now I have heard there are some brands to avoid, but I also hear the macs, arh and kooks are good brand. Now I will say the arh and kooks are probably not in my budget, so I was looking at the macs. Any complaints about fitment or anything? Also is there really much to gain with headers on just an eaton set up?

Kyle_KleinSS

Established Member
Gotcha. I dont think there is too much to be gained at my current level. I am just going to wait until I go with a bigger blower.

2003cobra22

Corn Fed
Established Member
I have Macs and the fitment and quality are great, couldn't justify the price of Kooks or arh for just headers, don't believe there's much power to be gained from headers on an eaton car but the sound alone is worth it. Just my 2cents

BadBlue98GT

Established Member
I had MAC's on my '98 GT for 50K miles and had no issues. Good value in my opinion.

After my last round of mods (Stage 7 blower and 4lb. lower), my mechanic/tuner recommended the addition of some headers. I tend to agree with his way of thinking in that spinning a blower at its limit creates a lot of boost, but trying to squeeze all of the byproducts through the same hole that was designed for stock parts is counterproductive. There may not be a lot to be gained when adding headers to a ported/upper only combo, but with the lower, I think it's a necessity to maximize power and efficiency of the Eaton. It also builds the foundation for a bigger blower in the future.:rockon:

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I can't say much about experience, but the shop I go to says ARH quality and fitment are top notch! I'll be order up a set soon.

Kyle_KleinSS

Established Member
For the time being I would probably go with the macs being an eaton only car. I am going with a return fuel system to handle big later, so I will be all set up for it when the time comes if I pick up some headers. Now you guys really got me debating them. The macs with an o/r x can be had for about 670.

Last edited:

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I have my reasons for NEVER buying a Mac product ever again! I'll pay more for better quality and better customer service. I just ordered up my ARH headers today.

Jmurrz

Established Member
It seems like MAC is the best bang for your buck out there but I hear nothing but good things about ARH or Kooks. I have Bassani Mid-lengths and for now I love them, my favorite part is not having to worry about bottoming them out.

Stanger00

Established Member
Mac is steel and will rust even coated. Mine have surface rust and has never been driven in rain but my car has sat outside for 2 years after they were installed.

Kooks and ARH are stainless steel and that is the only reason why they are so expensive and they are better built.

If I ever change my macs out I will go with Kooks.

Woody6799

Established Member
It seems like MAC is the best bang for your buck out there but I hear nothing but good things about ARH or Kooks. I have Bassani Mid-lengths and for now I love them, my favorite part is not having to worry about bottoming them out.

How about the stainless works? There is a full set in the market and they look like they ride pretty high. Just a touch below the trans. Doesn't look like you would have scraping issues with those.

Givens

I wanna go fast
Established Member
Might save your money and wait on the headers and spend your money else where. The manifolds on these cars flow really well, lots of folks making over 650+ with them. The big reason people run headers is it lowers boost, and makes the same or slightly more power. Then they can pulley down and pick the boost back up and make more power. With the Eaton I don't think you'll be able to spin it fast enough to achieve this.

As far as header there were only two to choose from for me, Kooks or ARH. I went with the ARH and they look great, I have not installed them yet but should in the next couple weeks.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread