Header Leak

sassafras

Established Member
But not at the gasket, has anyone ever had a header leak where the tube meets the flange? Gaskets are free of carbon deposits but it looks like water is coming out of the back of the flange and is dark with carbon in that area. These are Kooks 1-3/4 headers by the way.

Satyr

Established Member
Yeah, this has happened on two of my cars. My problems, both times, were stress on the system from the catback. I loosened everything up in the catback, resealed the header-mipipe connection with a good bit of copper spray, and then retightened everything. I would give it a shot.

Also, if you have the UPR mid pipe, make sure that the insert is in the mid pipe...otherwise that might be a leak source.

sassafras

Established Member
Yeah, this has happened on two of my cars. My problems, both times, were stress on the system from the catback. I loosened everything up in the catback, resealed the header-mipipe connection with a good bit of copper spray, and then retightened everything. I would give it a shot.

Also, if you have the UPR mid pipe, make sure that the insert is in the mid pipe...otherwise that might be a leak source.

Sorry, I didn't make myself clear enough. There is a leak where the individual header tubes meet the flange that connects to the cylinder head. I'm guessing the weld didn't penetrate far enough and they didn't get sealed up completely.

I'm going to give Kooks a call tomorrow and see what can be done since it's a quality problem and not an install problem. Just kind of sucks that they've been on and off five times now with different gaskets and I just now find the leak.

Satyr

Established Member
Oh...I see what you mean.
Yeah, hopefully they don't tell you to take them off for the repair.
I would probably go to an exhaust shop and see if they could weld it up for you.

Users who are viewing this thread