Header install....rattling noise?

gnatsumarboc03

Established Member
Took the x pipe inspected the inside of the header nothing stood out to me, I think I still hear the noise after starting up it open headers. It has to be hitting somewhere this is driving me crazy.

Last edited:

gnatsumarboc03

Established Member
loose bolts on the k member install?

I doubt it, I made extra sure I tighten everything down there tight, the noise only happens under load meaning at idle it doesn't make a sound.

Like I mentioned earlier it sounds as if it coming from inside the driver side header, but if it was coming from inside the header wouldn't it make the noise all the time considering exhaust is still coming through the header.

Whats the name of the tool you can use to pinpoint where a noise is coming from?

I'm pretty sure exhaust leak doesn't sound like metal to metal.

Last edited:

03Snake04

! Sonic Boom !
Established Member
Like I mentioned earlier it sounds as if it coming from inside the driver side header, but if it was coming from inside the header wouldn't it make the noise all the time considering exhaust is still coming through the header.

Whats the name of the tool you can use to pinpoint where a noise is coming from?

more rmps means mean more vibration .. it could still be making slight noise at idle you just don't hear it

the tool is called a stethoscope

Last edited:

gnatsumarboc03

Established Member
yes it was required from what i remember

more rmps means mean more vibration .. it could still be making slight noise at idle you just don't hear it

the tool is called a stethoscope

How the heck did I get mine on if it's required? Could this possilbly be my issue? From what I've seen the tube is plastic so I doubt it would be the cause of this issue.

Thanks

03Snake04

! Sonic Boom !
Established Member
the tube runs right along side the engine .. it had to come off or the headers would smash it into the block when you tighten down the headers :shrug:

this is what i remember anyway...

the headers were one piece werent they .. i dont see how else you'd get the headers bolted up with the tube in the way

gnatsumarboc03

Established Member
I don't remember the oil tube being in the way though, same directions I used minus the oil tube I'm double check on the clearance with the tube.

TRMI8TR

TRMIN8TR
Established Member
Check ALL primaries individually by graving it and trying to move it or shaking it. Sounds like they might be vibrating up against each other, maybe at the collectors One could be lose.

03Snake04

! Sonic Boom !
Established Member
i remember there being two tubes that were VERY close to one another and thought they may touch and rattle .. this was when i was inspecting them after shipment

i never had an issue tho .. but this could be your issue .. if so, then some wrap ought to fix the issue

gnatsumarboc03

Established Member
I've tried just about everything, I'm take to another exhaust shop to see if they can maybe see something we missed or something hard to enjoy the car with this rattle.

SickBlackMach

Throttling back
Established Member
Meaning you broke it back down? Or you just slid something under there while everythling was still bolted up?

Sorry for the delay, forgot that I posted in here!:bash:

I just unbolted the motor mounts and jacked the motor up, just enough to slide a shim in there. I forget what shim thickness I went with though.

03Snake04

! Sonic Boom !
Established Member
I've tried just about everything, I'm take to another exhaust shop to see if they can maybe see something we missed or something hard to enjoy the car with this rattle.

only thing i can say is drop the k again and see if it STILL rattles

dropping the k doesn't take long so it's worth a shot:shrug:

if it goes away then you know it isn't the exhaust

gnatsumarboc03

Established Member
That's a bomber dude, I'm sure you've checked EGR tubing too? Good luck.

I deleted the egr

Sorry for the delay, forgot that I posted in here!:bash:

I just unbolted the motor mounts and jacked the motor up, just enough to slide a shim in there. I forget what shim thickness I went with though.

Ok thanks, I may try this before I start breaking it down again.

only thing i can say is drop the k again and see if it STILL rattles

dropping the k doesn't take long so it's worth a shot:shrug:

if it goes away then you know it isn't the exhaust

Yeah I wanted to advoid that, but probably should do that....would rule out alot of things. Now I wish I would have started the car when the K wasnt there like I like said I would.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread