Header install....rattling noise?

hotcobra03

Established Member
i had a rattle or 2 on ours...things that come to mind..

1,,,large weight on rear..mine had to come off for cat back

2,,my flowmaster catback pipe was 2 piece,,clamp is given..i lightly tighten them..noticed clamp would hit rear if pipe was shaking hard..

3,,which was the issue,,abs bracket to frame..1 of 2 bolts was missing ...i never had to touch abs so ?

mine too sounded like loose x pipe ,,only touching exhaust,i only banged on exhaust

gnatsumarboc03

Established Member
i had a rattle or 2 on ours...things that come to mind..

1,,,large weight on rear..mine had to come off for cat back

2,,my flowmaster catback pipe was 2 piece,,clamp is given..i lightly tighten them..noticed clamp would hit rear if pipe was shaking hard..

3,,which was the issue,,abs bracket to frame..1 of 2 bolts was missing ...i never had to touch abs so ?

mine too sounded like loose x pipe ,,only touching exhaust,i only banged on exhaust

Thanks for the info....I'm get back out there soon, possibly this weekend I'll find out something.

gnatsumarboc03

Established Member
Today I started the car, this time the rattling bad on cold start, so I tried something different, I turned the steering wheel and the noise went away? So now I'm like wtf the noise left, so turned it again I can hear the rattle again. So I just revving the engine while turning the steering side to side and noticed the noise greatly decreased....so I'm guessing maybe ther steering rack is hitting the k member...

Any thoughts or suggestions on this? I want be able to check till this weekend. I noticed to I know have the infamous clunk/squeak from my steering rack since reinstalled it.

Last edited:

03Snake04

! Sonic Boom !
Established Member
well then it def sounds steering rack related .. you did have to slide the steering shaft through 2 header tubes right then bolt it back together ?

gnatsumarboc03

Established Member
well then it def sounds steering rack related .. you did have to slide the steering shaft through 2 header tubes right then bolt it back together ?

Well you know that's how the Mac's headers design for the shaft to go through the headers...but the actually shaft doesnt apper to be hitting.... When I'm turning right I get alot of vibration coming from the car so I'm def gone drop the steering shaft before I do anything else.

gnatsumarboc03

Established Member
UPDATE:

One of my header bolts was broken, from install so I finally went back in to change it out no more rattle sound, guess I had a really bad exhaust leak or hitting the stud.

So it wasn't the Mac headers for anybody considering getting any.

Last edited:

SVTDice

Established Member
Good to hear, How do you like the quality and fit of Mac headers? I'm about to buy a set.

gnatsumarboc03

Established Member
They looked really nice, and I had no fitment issues. Although it has started to rust in little small areas on the headers.

Car sound like a whole different animal with them, if I was to buy again I would probably just save for some stainless steel headers just elimanate rust...I hate rust.

SVTDice

Established Member
They looked really nice, and I had no fitment issues. Although it has started to rust in little small areas on the headers.

Car sound like a whole different animal with them, if I was to buy again I would probably just save for some stainless steel headers just elimanate rust...I hate rust.

I know how you feel. I picked myself up a ceramic coated set. They have a 3 year warranty on the coating so hopefully they will hold up.

Users who are viewing this thread