Header Gaskets and Bolts

5ohstang

vnmus97
Established Member
I just got a set of flowtech lt's with the x pipe and i need gaskets and header bolts for them and i was wondering if there is a brand that is better over the other. I found bbk header gaskets on summit but not sure if they would be alright with flowtechs. the car is a 97 cobra. thanks

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
I just used new factory gaskets when I had Flowtech longtubes on my car. I also used the factory studs and nuts. Never leaked at the head.

5ohstang

vnmus97
Established Member
alright i will try that i guess. I'm afraid that my bolts and studs wont work though because they look like they are rusted together...

Mystic-SVT

snuggle fest, mmmmm!
Established Member
Use factory gaskets and your stock hardware...don't let th rust scare you, just soak them with WD-40 or whatever you like to use to break them free

5ohstang

vnmus97
Established Member
Alright cool. Thanks for the quick responses guys. Im gonna try to get these babies on this weekend so i needed to know fast so thanks again! And what about collector gaskets? does it really matter which ones i get?

JJ1997PGSVT

Established Member
I also used factory gaskets and studs on my BBk LT's. I've seen some previous posts where people used cheaper gaskets and ended up with exhaust leaks and we all know what's involved changing header gaskets on our cars.

19Mystic96

Established Member
i used stage 8 locking header bolts on my bassani mid lengths after i had to re-do the job 2 times from the bolts coming loose..

twista

Band'edid
Established Member
Get some stage 8 locking as mentioned above. I been battling my header bolts for months which ended up in a blown header gasket from loose header bolts.

Fixed everything up and put anti-sieze on the bolts and everything is good now, but im still ordering some stage 8's for extra security.

I used FELPRO gaskets with a small amount of RTV red around the ports that touch the header side and everything is well.

Just make sure to re-torque the header bolts if you use the regular kind.

Last edited:

CJK440

Established Member
I used Percy's alum gaskets with Stage 8 bolts. So far so good.

Only issue is the stage 8 bolts could have been a little longer, I was worried about how much thread was engaged. I bought my car with headers on already and they used regular bolts with washers and cross threaded a few. In retrospect I should have used studs. But they are in and I don't plan on fooling with them.

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
I'm sure the stage 8's are nice but they're, what, $50?

You can spend maybe $5 at the hardware store for some some additional nuts and double nut the factory stud & nut setup and achieve the same exact result. I've done this twice now and it has never leaked.

Lazered98

PAH!
Established Member
I used stage 8 bolts and remflex gaskets on my BBK longtubes. I have taken the passenger side off to do the clutch once and everything looked good and went back fine.

RIO RED SNAKE

4:10's = The Suck
Established Member
for the collectors flowtech sells a anti leak aluminum gasket ones..which i have found them at autozone actually...my Flowtechs still leak from somewhere and i have a feeling its from the head...so yeaaaaaaaaa k member drop this winter!!! but do NOT DO NOT over tighten the collectors..they are soft and will bend like no other with the slightest extra torquing and then they will leak forever

19Mystic96

Established Member
I'm sure the stage 8's are nice but they're, what, $50?

You can spend maybe $5 at the hardware store for some some additional nuts and double nut the factory stud & nut setup and achieve the same exact result. I've done this twice now and it has never leaked.

yea, $50 but the job is done once. no need to retorque them or no need to worry about them loosening up.

i had to do my headers 2 times because of my bolts loosening up before i got the stage 8's and was done with it..

i would have gladly paid 50 the first time if i knew how much of a pain it was to do the headers over and over..

5ohstang

vnmus97
Established Member
I think I'm just gonna go the cheap route and use the stock nuts and studs and just get new factory gaskets. hopefully it will work out. thanks for the feedback everyone

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread